starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - 100 kilos

Default Squat form check - 100 kilos

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

The biggest thing for you to work on, IMO, is to slow down your descent and make it more controlled. Keep everything tight. Also focus on keeping your knees out.

Not sure where in India you are, but do you know of any decent barbell gyms in New Delhi? On my way there tomorrow.

Agreed. And controlling the descent will likely fix your other issues. Make sure you set your knees over your toes by about 1/2 way down, and leave them there; currently, you are pushing your knees forward at the bottom of each rep, and allowing your weight to shift forward. So keep your weight over mid-foot and drive your hips straight UP out of the bottom of the hole. You want the stretch reflex to come from your posterior chain, not from your knees.
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    The biggest thing for you to work on, IMO, is to slow down your descent and make it more controlled. Keep everything tight. Also focus on keeping your knees out.

Agreed with the controlled decent from the previous comments and with Dave's observations on your knees and how you are getting forward on your way up, you can see it when your hips are almost at the same height as your head when your coming back up. I also think the bar might be a bit high on you which can contribute to getting too far forward.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post

Not sure where in India you are, but do you know of any decent barbell gyms in New Delhi? On my way there tomorrow.
    I'm not in New Delhi, but I suggest you stay away from any globo-gym or gym franchisee like Talwalkar's or Gold's. They're overpriced, and have every machine you can dream of, but lack a squat rack. Local neighborhood gyms are better in this regard, they'll be cheaper AND have a squat racks.

Default 2nd attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Agreed with the controlled decent from the previous comments and with Dave's observations on your knees and how you are getting forward on your way up, you can see it when your hips are almost at the same height as your head when your coming back up. I also think the bar might be a bit high on you which can contribute to getting too far forward.
    Here's my second attempt. I slowed my descent, but it made squatting considerably harder. I failed the 4th rep of my last set. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Squat Form Check 19 11 16 - YouTube

Squat Form Check Side View 19 11 16 - YouTube

Also, due to the increased time per rep (caused by the slower descent), I seem to run out of breath by the third rep. This makes it very difficult to complete the set. Any advice on how to avoid this ?

Default 2nd attempt

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Agreed. And controlling the descent will likely fix your other issues. Make sure you set your knees over your toes by about 1/2 way down, and leave them there; currently, you are pushing your knees forward at the bottom of each rep, and allowing your weight to shift forward. So keep your weight over mid-foot and drive your hips straight UP out of the bottom of the hole. You want the stretch reflex to come from your posterior chain, not from your knees.
    Here's my second attempt. I slowed my descent, but it made squatting considerably harder. I failed the 4th rep of my last set. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Squat Form Check 19 11 16 - YouTube

Squat Form Check Side View 19 11 16 - YouTube

Also, due to the increased time per rep (caused by the slower descent), I seem to run out of breath by the third rep. This makes it very difficult to complete the set. Any advice on how to avoid this ?

You missed that rep b/c you are getting off balance, to the front, on every rep coming out of the bottom. As soon as you finish your descent, you are letting the weight shift forward out of your hips and onto your knees; the bar ends up traveling from over your mid-foot (correct position), to over your toes (bad). So your mechanics become inefficient and you are not strong enough to overcome that mechanical inefficiency.

You need to lean over sooner and set your knees, both by about 1/2 down in the rep. From there, your knee position and back angle should not change until you are 1/2 way back up. As you lean over on the descent, drive your hips back. On the ascent, drive your hips straight up. Keep your weight in balance over the midfoot, do not let it shift to your toes. Keep your gaze on the floor 5 feet in front of you (in this video you seem to be looking straight down, which is likely not help with this shifting of balance). Lifting shoes would also help. When all else fails, revert to the master cue: concentrate on keeping the bar in a vertical slot over your midfoot.

starting strength coach development program
    You didn't fail you quit!!! I've seen this several time recently on the forums. Sure, you made it harder for yourself via the technique errors. But despite those, you could've made it up. As far as what you're doing wrong, the other comments are on point.