starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check 255x5

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I read SS (2nd edition) and 'The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time' while training today.

Observations:

- Feet were too close together, toes not out enough.
    - Shins were too close to bar.
    - The mats I've been placing under the weights were too squishy, which means the bar wouldn't move on the ground even if I was digging my shins into the bar. Now I have bad habits ingrained in me...
    - I replaced the squishy mats with cardboard, and it would seem my garage floor is uneven; but I think I found a spot where the bar settled on the floor. I found it much more difficult to NOT MOVE THE BAR without my squishy mats...

Here's a coupe links to one of my warmup sets, and my working set of 260x5:

Deadlift warmup 230x2 - YouTube
    Deadlift 260x5 - YouTube

I found an old velcro belt I haven't used in a while. Not a big fan of velcro has it tends to come undone, but it's the same width all the way around.

Back angle on warmup looks better than before. However, my working set was atrocious. I think I may need to drop the weight to 225 and focus hard on proper setup and technique. What do y'all think? The bar speed on my working sets of squats 245 3x5 was fine, so I don't think fatigue or recovery was an issue for me today.

You should go ditch your out of date edition of Starting Strength.
    Last edited by Joe Jaloszynski; 02-10-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Do I need to submit the above links as a new thread for feedback?

These are improving but you are losing some of your squeeze because they are taking so long. Try to take only 1 second between each of these steps. 1. Shins to bar. 2. Big held breath. 3. Big squeeze(still work harder to squeeze chest up while arching your low back). 4. Pull

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    These are improving but you are losing some of your squeeze because they are taking so long. Try to take only 1 second between each of these steps. 1. Shins to bar. 2. Big held breath. 3. Big squeeze(still work harder to squeeze chest up while arching your low back). 4. Pull
    Thanks Ryan! I took 20lbs off the bar today so I can make sure I'm getting my form down properly. I'll submit another form check once I get back to 260.

Default DEADLIFT 285x5

How are these?

Deadlift 285x5 - YouTube

Observations: Lower back feels a lot better, but that could be attributed to having to take a massive deload on my squat for technique issues. The bar path doesn't seem straight on the way down, and my neck doesn't look like it's in a good position. Am I looking too high up?

As a side note, my pecs felt strained/tight at the top of the lift. Is that normal?
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 03-14-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Much improved. Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Much improved. Nice work
    Thanks Ryan! Any advice about my pecs feeling really tight when I lockout the DL?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Thanks Ryan! Any advice about my pecs feeling really tight when I lockout the DL?
    Don't worry about it unless it becomes pain. Little quirks like this happen from time to time to a lifter

starting strength coach development program
    Improved very much

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast