starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check 255x5

Default Deadlift Form Check 255x5

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm running SS and just finished my 4th week. I'm adding 5lbs to deadlift every other workout as of this week (was 10lbs every workout for almost 3 weeks). I've read SS and "The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time" article. 6'1", 180.2lbs (started at 172.4lbs).

The first video is my working set. The last video is a light set of 5 (135lbs) that I did after my working set to see if there were any major differences.

DL 255x5 - YouTube

DL 135x5 - YouTube

Any feedback is appreciated. I'll try to get a better video next week, but my garage is rather small, so a better video angle may not be possible.

Your back is in a good amount of flexion here. Work much harder on squeezing the chest up and arching your back before you pull

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Your back is in a good amount of flexion here. Work much harder on squeezing the chest up and arching your back before you pull
    I mentally think about chest up and arching back before pulling, but shortly after the bar gets off the floor it feels like my hips push back/down and I feel the stress in my lower back. When the weight is ~230lbs or less I feel like all the tightness is in my hamstrings, and I'm not aware of any stress on my lower back.

Where is the bar in relation to your mid-foot during set up? You've got almost zero flexion at the knee and the bar may be too close preventing a proper set up.

On the "chest" cue: You can't just think about it, you need to actively squeeze your chest up. This sqeeze will actually break the bar off the floor at lighter weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    Where is the bar in relation to your mid-foot during set up? You've got almost zero flexion at the knee and the bar may be too close preventing a proper set up.

On the "chest" cue: You can't just think about it, you need to actively squeeze your chest up. This sqeeze will actually break the bar off the floor at lighter weights.
    I have a gap of about 3/4" to 1" between the bar and my shins (if I'm standing up straight). As far as cues go, I've been thinking "chest up, push through heals, pull bar towards body". At the moment I think my chest and lower back are set properly I push through my heals. If I don't actively focus on pulling the bar towards my body the bar inevitably breaks contact with my shins on the way up.

Burn that belt. Burn it and bury the ashes.

1. Make sure its 1", not 3/4". As mentioned above you need more of a shin angle
    2. Do not think about pushing through your heels. For the most efficient pull the bar must start over the mid foot(think "mid foot.") and move in a straight vertical line through the rep. Think "midfoot" or possibly even about being more on the balls of your feet if you need an over correction in this area.
    3. But the main issue is the getting "squoze" at the bottom. This is hard for some people. I would suggest utilizing a SSC if you are near one.

I've found the belt helpful after having a triple hernia repair. Could just be in my head though.

I've thought about a "mid-foot" cue when pulling, but the bar gets away from my shins. Perhaps my shin angle has been off which is effecting this.

I would love to see an Austin Baraki since he's less than an hour from me, but I'm a poor college student with no money. Maybe in four or five years I can afford coaching again...

Thanks for the tips Ryan!

I've found the belt helpful after having a triple hernia repair. Could just be in my head though.
    JoeJ is referring to the type of belt. Get a belt that has the same thickness all the way around. Those with the tapered front are useless.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygonzales12 View Post
    JoeJ is referring to the type of belt. Get a belt that has the same thickness all the way around. Those with the tapered front are useless.
    Oh, yeah. It's better than nothing, but not ideal. When I'm not a poor college student anymore I'll buy a real belt.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast