starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check [update]

Default Deadlift Check [update]

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey again guys!

This is a continuation of a previous thread.

Here's the deadlift video. Same weight as before, 122.5kg / 270lb.

I followed the advice of user mattlifts: shortened my ridiculously long setup, tried to bend the bar around my legs.

I also followed the advice of user Royce Nichols and made sure the bar was in contact with my legs the whole time, and changed the angle for this new video as requested (front quarter).

I gave up on that 5th and final rep and I regret doing that a fucking lot! I could've pulled it and I know it, but I was afraid my back was too rounded. Turns out I was just feeling my back contracting hard.

I know I shouldn't have looked sideways, but again I couldn't help it, I thought my back was rounding too much and I wanted to check it (during the set, what a fucking genius!).

Looks much better. Make sure you take your time setting up your chest. I know Matt said to speed up, which you definitely needed to, but it's not at the expense of setting up correctly. You're setting your lats well but you don't squeeze the chest up through your arms every time. Think about showing your nipples to the front wall then set the lats. Big breath. Go. You had a soft lockout on a couple. Stand up straight with a proud chest at the top. I'd reset the DL 10-12.5% and work on these cues. Oh, and get chalk if you can! If you can't, get some athletic tape to put around your thumb. It helps with the hook grip

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Looks much better. Make sure you take your time setting up your chest. I know Matt said to speed up, which you definitely needed to, but it's not at the expense of setting up correctly. You're setting your lats well but you don't squeeze the chest up through your arms every time. Think about showing your nipples to the front wall then set the lats. Big breath. Go. You had a soft lockout on a couple. Stand up straight with a proud chest at the top. I'd reset the DL 10-12.5% and work on these cues. Oh, and get chalk if you can! If you can't, get some athletic tape to put around your thumb. It helps with the hook grip
    All of this. Try not to huff and puff at the bottom before starting the set. Once you decide to pull the damn thing, set up, then pull the damn thing. It's going to be really damn hard. But you can do this.

I'd like to see a more pronounced 5 step setup like Royce said. You're combining steps 2 and 3. It should be: bend down and grab the bar, THEN bring shins to the bar. You're doing both at the same time. Setting your back by showing a proud chest will help with the bent arms you're exhibiting a little bit.

All that said, you've made some nice progress. Keep going.

You're setting your lats well but you don't squeeze the chest up through your arms every time. Think about showing your nipples to the front wall then set the lats.
    I thought my chest was well squeezed too. What makes you think it's not?

You had a soft lockout on a couple
    Yeah, I noticed that on rep2.

Oh, and get chalk if you can! If you can't, get some athletic tape to put around your thumb. It helps with the hook grip
    You mean for gripping harder, or just for more comfort?

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    You're combining steps 2 and 3. It should be: bend down and grab the bar, THEN bring shins to the bar. You're doing both at the same time. Setting your back by showing a proud chest will help with the bent arms you're exhibiting a little bit.
    I'll keep this in mind. It's easier to grab the bar and set the hook grip with bent knees, that's why I do it. I did notice my arms were bent after I edited the video. Will the chest up cue really help with that?

If you squeeze your chest hard it will. Also, flexing your triceps will help. You'll know you're squeezing appropriately if you hear the plates "click."

You can set the hook just fine by bending over and setting your grip then bringing your knees to the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    It was squeezed at first, but I think you can do it harder and better. You also lost the squeeze as the set went on. Compare your chest position on your last rep to your first. Really squeeze your chest through your arms. This is exceptionally uncomfortable and hard to do when tired. Chalk and tape help for grip and comfort, yes. Deload and work back up. Keep working man! and yes to what matt said about flexing your triceps. Show off dem gunz!