starting strength gym

Thread: I may have fixed my squat (conceptually anyway)

Lightbulb I may have fixed my squat (conceptually anyway)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

So that happened yesterday, and then I read this Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat by Bill Hannon, SSC. So, now Im pretty sure I know what my problem is.

I know the stance isn't really that visible, but I'm working with feet just outside shoulder-width and a little more than 30 degrees out so I have room for my unfortunate gut. Grip is about as wide as it can be to safely handle a heavy barbell near the pinch points of the hooks. Is it OK to wear work gloves to avoid those hand hazards?

So, two main questions remain.. 1) Is there anything else obvious that I'm missing, and 2) should I drop some weight until I can do this properly, or just keep LPing and attempt to fix it as the weight continues to rise?

Thanks,

P.S. Hopefully only 3 more weeks at this awful 24hr fitness until my new gym opens!

Don't pause at the bottom. Don't drape your hands over the top of the bar, rotate them back and down (and then keep your wrists straight and your elbows will point more down than they are currently.

Hey dhurstell. It's tough to be sure, but it looks like the bar is a bit high on your back. If that's the case, thoracic extension is going to be tougher. That said, dropping the weight down and working on bar position and solid thoracic extension is what I'd recommend. I haven't seen this get better with more weight. You pull your elbows down deliberately at the beginning, but they go back to cranking up, and get worse throughout the set. I'd take 20% off the bar to 225 and see if you can fix it there.
    First, make sure the bar is low enough. Have someone take a pic or vid from the back and post here if you'd like. If that's good, when you get set up, think about putting your elbows in your back pockets to stay tight in the upper back and keep the elbows down.
    Lastly, try to avoid squatting in slippery, moisture wicking shirts. The bar tends to slide around.
    Happy squatting.