starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check 225

Default Squat Check 225

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My previous post's feedback was: Brace better, drive with the hips. Better tempo.
    Squat Check 250 lbs.

How did I do?
    VID 20170908 060014 2 - YouTube

Definitely a better tempo. Your knees also got out where they needed to be more quickly - you're no longer trying to keep them artificially back as much when you start the movement. To my eye, bracing is improved, but could still improve a bit more - I don't really think there's such a thing as bracing too hard, so just keep working on doing it harder than you think you need to. But all those things are a lot better.

As far as stuff to work on that I saw:
    The descent tempo could still be just a little less slowed down looking. Brace and don't relax into the hole, but don't deliberately go down slowly either.
    Depth is REALLY on the line the first couple reps. Shove your knees out to the side as hard as you can and focus on sitting back with your hips toward the hole to ensure depth. This could be happening because now that you're bracing better, you're not relying on relaxing your body to hit depth.
    Try to straighten your left wrist - it's pretty bent back. See if you can retract your shoulder blades harder to make a more secure shelf for the bar - it looks a little unstable during your walkout.
    Try to make your walkout more efficient. You're doing a lot of shifting around before you squat. Try to memorize an exact walkout pattern and replicate it every time to avoid unneeded movement.
    Although the knees are better, try to "break" (initiate the movement) at the hips and knees at exactly the same time. You still tend to initiate with a hip movement, and the knees going forward happens just a split second after you break at your hips. Start the movement by simultaneously moving your hips back and knees forward/out.

A lot better though!
    Last edited by nkupianist; 09-08-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks for the reply. I was watching the video before posting and was expecting to be told I wasn't deep enough. I think my depth was affected by my focus on bracing. As you say, I was relying on relaxing my body to hit depth.

Depth is not "on the line". These squats are shallow. Probably by several inches. Your grip is pretty wide, try to narrow it by having the bar more across the base of your palm rather than in your grip. Work on squeezing your chest up. Thoracic extension is lacking, especially when coming out of the bottom. Your knees are also not locked into position at the bottom which allows for the wobbliness coming out of the hole. Lean forward more and get your hips further back.

At the bottom of the squat, as you come up, you can see that your first move is to shift your knees back, push your hips back and then up. You want your hips to go straight up.

Default Stance and knees

Peter,

I think you might find it helpful to take a slightly narrower stance, and slightly more outturned feet. That, combined with shoving the knees out through the bottom of the movement should help with your depth issue.

Best of luck!