starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check - pre and post set up tweak

Default Deadlift Form Check - pre and post set up tweak

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Thanks in advance! I've tried to get as good camera angles as possible as per the sticky however working out in my garage has some limitations so apologies for that.

So this week I filmed my Monday deadlift and thought my back was looking very parallel to the ground and as I was begin to pull my hips fall lower before it leaves the ground. Link for this below.

YouTube

So today I did a lighter beltless deadlift (80% of Friday 5rep weight) and tweaked my set up by focusing on how I'm bringing my shins to the bar. Trying not to tuck my arse below me in the process. Feels like my starting position has my back more vertical and as though my shoulders are in a more correct position. Seems as though I'm still dropping my hips but not as much maybe. The one think I can say is my lower back is way more sore today than any previous deadlift, which I'm not sure if a good sign or a bad sign. Link below.

YouTube

Appreciate any advice at all.

Waking up this morning with the soreness now being just pain, I'd I'm not doing something right. Feels odd that a more vertical back would put more stress on my lumbar?

That being said I'm questioning my ability to control my lumbar spine and am now thinking of doing a reasonable reset on my deadlift to really sort this out, would that sound like a good idea?

Some things I noticed:

-Your back needs indeed more extension, especially in Video #1. Droppind the hips does not equal lumbar extension. Seee:

404 Not Found

-You start your pull by opening your hip angle, which pulls your shoulders behind the bar and produces a non-vertical bar path ("pulling aroud your knees"). Keep your shoulders slightly infront of the bar and try to legpress the groud away from you.

Hope this helps,

tingl

You still tend to lower your butt. Chuck the Chucks. They give you no stability.

Thanks tingl and Carson.

What you've both said makes a lot of sense, I've been trying to focus on more back extension but I don't know if I don't have the strength to maintain it or something else is happening.

I'm starting to look at getting some lifting shoes it'll happen soon.

Thanks for the vid. Alan is great.

So over the weekend I made the decision to drop the weight 20% down to 112.5kg so I can dedicate more attention to keeping a tight back. Also in my squat I'm thinking more chest up. I trained today and my squat felt pretty good and easy tbh. Press went well but then on my working set of deadlifts on the 4th rep I felt to pops in my lower back one each side. Pretty close or lower than the si joint I think. Luckily I'm recording everything now so caught it on video and I can see that my back is just in a rubbish position. The form gets worse on each rep and I've ended up hurting.

It's not so bad just tight, keeping moving and doing some air squats.

But yeah I'm feeling pretty lost now having dropped the weight from 140 to 112.5kg and then hurting something is pretty annoying. Maybe I need to drop it more or even drop some on my squat because that feels like it tires my back pretty hard.

Vids-

Last set of squats 132.5kg YouTube

Last deadlift warm-up 90kg beltless YouTube

Working deadlift 112.5kg YouTube

This morning I was doing a few things to keep my lower back loose. After watching a few on the platform vids. This one in particular YouTube

I tried with no weight in my hands and start stood up to keep my back extended through the decent to a position that's roughly where I would start the pull. I noticed that close the the bottom my lumbar just goes into flexion. And I was really trying to keep everything tight.

Heres and short vid of that, apologies for just being in boxers. Watch at your peril...

YouTube

Hey,

First some things about your squats:

-DO NOT WALK THE BAR OUT FORWARDT! This is an accident waiting to happen when you miss the rack on your way back.

-Narrow your stance. Your wide stance makes it difficult for you to keep your knees out and hith depth.

-Yes, get shoes. Those will make it easier to stax over midfoot.

Deadlifts:

-You indeed have to extend your spine better and then hold the extension hard. The bottom position should feel very uncomfortable, it is hard work to squeeze yourself into. Maybe your thick belt ist an obstacle there, see: The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

-For your back tweak, it's probably fine. Watch this: YouTube

-Don't worry about your back position on your air squats/deadlifts, lots of people (me included) cant extend their spine properly without giving the spinal erectors something to push against.

-Find a weight that you can handle with correct technique and progress from there.

Thanks Tingl.

Fair point on the walk out, I'll turn the rack around.

Will do. Any recommendation on how much narrower?

Copy that, I figured I'd knock it back down to one plate and do a few sets really trying to get tighter than I have ever been. Also figured I'd try to do a few holds of the exercise Rip gives in his lower back control video. The one where you lay on your front and lift your knees and feet off the floor with by contracting your lumbar.

I train tomorrow morning, will see how it goes.

starting strength coach development program
    Heels should be shoulder width apart, so maybe 2 inches on either side? Turn your toes out about 30°.

Yes, the superman usually helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast