starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello to the coaches and community,

After 5 years of gym membership finally found my calling with the starting strength program.

I am 6,3 feet tall male,220 pounds with approximately 25% body fat. 42 years old. Long limbs ( stance and back angle problems) and long fingers( creates trouble with grip).

I am 23 sessions in the program in two months. I purchased both books and mobile app and using app as guide to my training sessions.

so far deadlifting x5 at 242 pounds
    press x5 at 100 pounds
    squat x5 at 132 pounds
    assited chin ups
    cannot to do clean due to racking problems.

Deadlift and press have been progressing slowly but squat is stuck at 132 pound for more than a month. I am sending the video link below.

YouTube

I choose this angle for video because I think it shows my problems better. The black cylinder near my left feet is my version of TUBOW and feet angle beacon. If needed I can shoot more videos in different angles. I am not sure if it is obvious from video but there is also a rocking motion and I feel it in my toes and heels. My stance is about 22 inches from heel to heel.

Thank you very much in advance for who read and post an advice.

Hey mozs
    We have no problem trying to help, but we'd prefer if folks would read the stickies at the top of the forum about posting form checks.
    Thanks

Thanks for your post. I am sorry for any mistake on my posting. I will read stickies again. I also send my id to become a verified user and waiting for answer.

Thanks Murat. It looks like it went through.

I'm limited in terms of what I can tell you from this angle. Your stance is too wide, so bring your heels in a couple cm's on either side. This will help with your issue of getting to depth consistently.

Fix your wrists and get them into a more neutral to slightly extended position, rather than that flexed position when you start. Lift your chest to put the upper back into extension and keep the elbows from cranking up. This will give you more confidence to lean over sooner, so you can send the hips back and keep the knees from sliding forward in the bottom.

An angled view from the rear at about 45 degrees would be best for any other form checks.

Try that for a few sessions and check back with us in a week or so.

Good luck!

Thank you Pete! I will work on it.

I tried to fix my errors. here are new videos of 2nd and 3rd sets

YouTube

YouTube

I would appreciate if you could form check them. thank you

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Murat
    Stance looks better, as well as the grip and the getting the back set.
    You're cutting these off really high. The crease of the hip below the top of the knee.
    As you start, send your butt back away from your feet, get your knees out hard, and bury it. Keep your chest toward the ground on the way up and drive the hips straight up.
    Work on that for a week or two and you should be good to go.