starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie squat and DL form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Soule, I really appreciate your input. I tried to widen my grip today. I had an easier time hitting depth on my bottom position with no bar. I’m still high on the squats though. The funny thing is I feel like I’m deep. In my head I think I’ve hit depth then I watch the video and it’s clear that I haven’t.

Here’s me doing bottom position. Then I add bar and am high:

YouTube

Then I did a few more reps with just the bar and finished with 1x5 95 lbs. I think my depth was better here but still a little high:

YouTube

Rep 3 seemed like my best yet.

I almost feel like I would do better being more vertical, but saying that feels like SS sacrilege, so I’m inclined to keep my back angle where it is.

I’ll work on procuring the squat shoes.

One question if you don’t mind, did you do the standard A B C LP when you started SS? I am concerned about the spinal loading given my injury history. I have seen where some other folks advocate one day of heavy spinal loading per every 4-5 days, so that would mean squat and dead lift on the same day once a week. That sounds a little too conservative, but I’m trying to find a good balance and avoid reinjury.

I am having a similar experience. My back was probably 90-95% better after a year and a half removed from the injury. Getting back to the weights is definitely helping me get over the final hump. Just the minuscule amount of strength I’ve added from trying to dial in my form has helped me out. I also did not hurt my back lifting. In fact, I quit lifting for about 2 months because we had a newborn. I dropped about 15 pounds in that time. Then one day I sneezed and it didn’t feel right (bulging disc). I kept trying to stretch and do all kinds of stupid stuff then I herniated it. I know my form isn’t perfect but I’m happy to be back in the gym!!

Thanks again for any input on the videos.

Your depth isn’t bad, but you have some knee slide going on. You have to bend over more. Those knees should be set when you’re about a quarter of the way down and then push your ass back. Squat shoes will help. Your elbows are up too much as well

You also have to draw down more with your chest. Your current position is like a high bar squat and it is not the strongest way to load your spine. Here is a little drill to show you how to engage your abs and “draw down” before you start to descend:

1.take a deep breath and exhale. Empty your lungs.
    2. Empty them more. Puff the air out. Feel how your sternum draws down as your abs contract.
    3. Now take a big breath. Breathe into your belly and then all the way up filling your lungs. Now squeeze your abs in the same fashion that you just felt, drawing your sternum down a bit and keeping that big lung-full of air. Feel all that pressure in your abdomen? Thats what you want before you squat and throughout the entire rep.

Step 1 & 2 are a drill to teach the correct ab engagement, do not do this under load. Step 3 is what you do before a rep. Do the drill without the belt first and then with the belt. You should really feel this with a belt on and if you don’t it may be too tight, too loose or in the wrong position.

Step back on the weight to get a feel for the different position with your squat and then follow the NLP precisely as it is written.

Thanks a lot!! I’ll be working on this next week.

I’ve got one more question for you Soule. Why isn’t high bar squat the strongest way to load your spine? Is it because it does not engage the spinae erector muscles? Or because it does not require as much hamstring engagement if you high bar and keep the bar over mid foot? I want to make sure I understand the logic here. Thanks!

Rip explains it a lot better than I do

Squat Mechanics | Mark Rippetoe

Soule, just wanted to thank you for the article real quick. It is great!! I've read SSBBT a couple of times, but I admittedly do not keep up with the articles very well. Looks like I need to change that.

I have way de-loaded and spent the past couple of days working on bottom position and some broom stick squats. I've also been watching a lot of videos for tips/pointers.

Anyways, I plan to be back in the gym tomorrow and will try to get some video under the bar. I appreciate all your input, it is really helping me. I realize I have not been bending over anywhere near as much as I thought. Thanks!

I got the kids to bed and was about to explode so had to run to the gym and knock out some sets.

2x5 at 115 lbs. I think I’m still high but these also felt really good to me. I tried to focus more on keeping my weight centered over my whole foot and really focus on “lifting with my hips”. Thanks for any feedback!

Forgot to add the link:

YouTube

MUCH better. Nice work man!

Thanks!! And thanks for all the help!!

I’m still on my heels too much (you can see my toes lift in set 1 and 3). Also need to work on getting just a little deeper I think. I’ll work on that tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    One more set for review.

YouTube

I think I’m ready to start my NLP and feeling some confidence in my squat now.

I’m still a touch high and I think my elbows are high too.

I haven’t had this much weight on my back in at least 2 years and it feels damn good.

Thanks for any feedback!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast