starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Checkup

Default Power Clean Checkup

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

Another video of my not very powerful power clean. Any technique stuff I can address to improve these? I feel like they really lag behind my deadlift. I know the recording is a bit obstructed, but I didn't want to do them facing out away from the rack like I did last time, I feel like it tends to throw off my eye gaze. The complete setup wasn't recorded, but I do stick to the process. Shin an inch from the bar, reach down to take the grip, and bring shins to bar. The other steps are there in the video.

These are terrible. You're stopping to touch the thighs when you should just brush them on the way up. Recover to your pulling stance before you drop the bar back to the floor.

I know they're terrible. Do you mean reset the stance before dropping it into the hang? I usually let it come down to the hang before I put the feet back into position since I can look down and see where they're at that way, then bring the bar down to the floor. I've been trying like hell to get the jump to happen faster, but it just doesn't seem to want to for whatever reason. I've been through the progression of slow off the floor to getting faster off the floor twice now, I can't seem to get it to stick. I can't tell if there's something I could be doing better or if I'm just a slow, piss-poor jumper. Should I just shelf these until I can work with a coach on them?

They're actually not terrible. Your rack is okay. Rack the bar, recover to your pulling stance, and then drop the bar to the hang. The primary issue is the pause at the thigh. Reread the blue book about this.

I classify them as terrible mostly because I can't really do them as heavy as I should compared to my deadlift weight. But I'll keep at them. I reread the entire power clean chapter yesterday, focusing on the parts dissecting the middle and upper portions of the lift. It's just hard to work with "don't do that thing" when I'm already actively trying not to do that thing and it's still happening. Maybe I need to build a better picture of the movement's rhythm in my head. Hopefully I'll have something better to show next time I come back here with a set of these.