starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 DL form check

Default 450 DL form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey everyone, first time posting a form check. I’ve always just kinda eyeballed and critiqued it from my own videos but never really others. I’m just curious of my form. I noticed todays training felt a little off but proceeded anyways. During this, I also noticed DL seemed to feel a bit heavier today. I ultimately took a video. 450 DL - YouTube

Let me know what I could try to fix. I appreciate y’all.

For information I’m 250lbs, HLM program, lifts are:
    Bench-300 3x3
    Squat- 415 “”
    Press-200 “”
    PC 210 “”
    Row 275 “”
    DL 455 3x1

There is some excessive body movement pre-pull that seems like it pushes the barbell slightly forward of midfoot, causing your hips to be slightly lower than they should be just before the bar leaves the ground. That happened since you kicked the barbell forward an extra inch therefore when you brought your shins to the bar, the hips went a little lower than they otherwise would have had you not moved the barbell. You can see the evidence of this as your hips do rise a bit at the beginning of the pull before the bar actually leaves the ground. It is wasted energy. HOWEVER, I do think those look pretty good man overall.

In admittance, I do this consciously. While I set up as I should in the beginning. I tend to be naturally heavy in my heals. From there, not trying to move the bar and doing my best to keep it in the middle of the foot, I rock just slightly forward to place weight to what feels like the middle of my foot. Hence the rocking motion. I have found that, when I pull from this position, I do not feel as I’m too far back and have been able to pull more. Maybe you can give more insight to this situation but that is my reasoning for that forward motion.

You're too forward when the bar leaves the floor. What kind of shoes are these?

Skating shoes. I’m planning on investing in lifting shoes once payday comes around. I’ve skated by using these for years but I find it more difficult now that lifts are much heavier.

I’ve checked around and can’t finds decent answer, but would you have a recommendation on lifting shoes for flat wide feet? I’ve been reading about people having trouble with dowins and adidas lifters if you have wide feet.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleyGuacamole View Post
    I’ve checked around and can’t finds decent answer, but would you have a recommendation on lifting shoes for flat wide feet? I’ve been reading about people having trouble with dowins and adidas lifters if you have wide feet.
    I had a client once with wide feet and he got the Reebok Legacy Lifters and they sufficed

I’ll look into them. Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleyGuacamole View Post
    I’ve been reading about people having trouble with dowins and adidas lifters if you have wide feet.
    I’ve heard this complaint about the Adidas shoes, but not really the Do-Win except for lifters with exceptionally wide feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast