starting strength gym

Thread: 460 DL form check 2.0

Default 460 DL form check 2.0

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Got my new lifting shoes the other day. First DL session with them. My previous video was 455 DL with DC skate shoes. Hope this helps. I made the decision to up my 3 reps to 5 after listening to the last podcast with Ray and Nick. I did feel better lifting in the shoes, however I also felt possible form deterioration after third rep. Will appreciate constructive criticism.

260 DL form check - YouTube

1 - Need to put more effort into the squeeze at the bottom. Show your nipples to the wall in front of you and arch your low back hard. A 3in belt would help.
    2 - Stand tall at the top and lock out fully. Only breathe at the bottom
    3 - Reps need to be done consecutively if you want to call it a set of 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    1 - Stand tall at the top and lock out fully. Only breathe at the bottom
    Felt tall to me, I’ll look into it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    1 - Reps need to be done consecutively if you want to call it a set of 5
    Didn’t really call it a set. However, unless I was misinformed and misunderstood, volume is volume regardless of consecutive reps.

You are dropping your hips too low in the start position and rolling the bar forward of midfoot. Review the 5 step deadlift video. Once the bar is over midfoot, do not move the bar. Take your stance with your shins one inch away from the bar. Take your grip with straight knees. Bend your knees until your shins touch the bar. Hips stay where they are. Keep your hips high. Do not move the bar.

You are not setting your back into rigid anatomical extension. Hold your hips high. Place your belly between your thighs. Push your belly button down to the floor. Point your nipples at the wall in front of you.

Push your feet through the floor.

Stand tall. Hips locked out. Chest out. Shoulders back.

Hold your air. Breathe at the bottom.

You are strong. With more efficient technique you can be stronger. Take weight off of the bar to where you can do 5 consecutive reps with correct form and ramp back up 5-10 lbs per deadlift workout.

Your hips are too low. Look at how they go up before the musculature “catches” the weight to drive it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleyGuacamole View Post
    Didn’t really call it a set. However, unless I was misinformed and misunderstood, volume is volume regardless of consecutive reps.
    Amazingly enough, you were misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Amazingly enough, you were misinformed.
    I’m curious of how I’m misinformed. Regardless of doing five a set, two sets of doubles and one of one, the amount of weight and times lifted doesn’t change and therefore the same volume is lifted. Is it preferable thats it’s five consecutive, I’m sure. If I was misinformed it would be I misunderstood you and Nick or Rusty, it was while ago, on the podcast. You stated to a user on here that resetting your feet want a problem. The others had said to some guy struggling with his press that he needed to get the volume in, even if that meant adding singles at the end to make up for failed reps. I Can see the things other commenters are saying about the video now that they’re pointed out, however this is contradicting what I’ve heard y’all say.

If 5 singles were the equivalent of one set of 5, why didn't you just do the set of 5? What kept you from doing all 5 reps as a set? If the 5th rep is performed in a different metabolic environment than the 1st rep, the stress is different and the adaptation is different, and 5s are therefore not the same as 5 singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If 5 singles were the equivalent of one set of 5, why didn't you just do the set of 5? What kept you from doing all 5 reps as a set? If the 5th rep is performed in a different metabolic environment than the 1st rep, the stress is different and the adaptation is different, and 5s are therefore not the same as 5 singles.
    That makes sense. Between the fourth and fifth rep I had gotten light headed, so I stopped and took a reset. I’ll look further into it and work on the five consecutive reps.

starting strength coach development program
    If you pause the video at the 10 second mark, that is where your hips are in the correct place to start the pull (but your back isn't set yet). Then from 11-seconds to 20-seconds you are in the process of setting your back, while systematically lowering your hips (several inches). When the bar finally does break at about 20-seconds, your hips are back up to where they were at the 10 second mark (but the bar pulled you slightly forward out of position). Make it a game -- as soon as your shins touch the bar -- your hips are now locked into place and you cannot let them move at all. Getting your back set while in that freeze-frame is not easy, but that is what you need to do. Also, you are strong a.f.