starting strength gym

Thread: DL Form Check - Right Valgus Knee

Default DL Form Check - Right Valgus Knee

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Afternoon Team,
    I have a challenge with my deadlift off the floor, right knee valgus which I don't know how to correct. Many physios have prescribed many exercises - glute min, med etc and none seem to make a significant difference. By way of background i've broken my right femur which was pinned and my right patella which was wired (both out). My right hip external rotation is tighter than my left. Can you please have a look and if you have experience let me know what i can do to strengthen and correct this issue?

2" deficit deadlift front view - YouTube

2" def DL 45 degree angle - YouTube

Thanks Team
    KR NM

Why are you doing deficit deadlifts?

Thanks Mark, focus on my weak RoM being the bottom portion, quads are my weakness + change up from the comp lift. Valgus knee shows on both the comp lift and the and deficit.

You posted about a severe bike injury that resulted in both femurs broken and your patella broken. Do you not think this had something to do with this? Might you have a leg length issue?

It would be shocking if he didn't.

Thanks Mark & Satch appreciate your time responding here, I've posted a set of 5 deadlifts (not a deficit). In the bike accident I broke my right femur and patella, left side is fine. In respect to leg length I did the test prescribed by Mark and everything looks even. Yes the accident is totally the reason and I need your expertise in trying to understand how I can fix this issue of the valgus knee on deadlift which I'm sure will also assist on the squat. I don't know the solution and the great many physios I've seen haven't really assisted. My goal is to be as strong as I can which involves moving the weight efficiently, this hinders that and is very frustrating. Mark, if you can assist here would be greatly appreciated, happy to pay for a consult if you deem it necessary, there aren't too many people in the fitness industry I trust and only come here when I truly can't solve what's going on and take your word as gospel. Thanks again NM

Conv DL 1X5 Front Angle - YouTube

Fix the video.

Well, both of your knees come in when you start to pull. But, good God, man, why does it take you so damned long? These were effectively five singles with no rest.