starting strength gym

Thread: Why does my deadlift feel too heavy 'too early'? 2nd attempt on 330lbs.

Default Why does my deadlift feel too heavy 'too early'? 2nd attempt on 330lbs.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

My deadlifts feel too heavy, yet they're relatively light. Doesn't feel right to struggle (and fail) on 330lbs deadlift. I figured that form might be a problem(?). Is it that bad, that it's the thing holding me back?

Previously got rid of next problems: a) Bar rolling forward before it breaks off the ground. b) Reduced time between reps, my deadlift videos used to be over 1:05 minutes long. c) Now I'm trying to pull more extension from my back, though I notice that on last rep I could make my back a lot tighter in starting position.

Deadlift 330lbs 150kg 29.02.2024 - YouTube - video. Set was done on light squat day.

I failed previous 330lbs deadlift session, got only 4 reps, was fighting for 5th, got it to knees, tried to at least "Double move" it, but failed. Don't have video of it unfortunately.

I'm 18/6'2"/218lbs, gained ~26-28lbs since started the program. It's 2nd workout of 12th week. Currently alternating DL/PC, and added a light squat day previous week.

1)Rest ~8 mins between last warmup and working set. 2) Adding 2.5kg (5.5lbs), 3) Right now struggling with with food, getting maybe 3.5k cal, when normally I eat 1-1.5k more, 9 hours uninterrupted good sleep.
    SQ: 280lbs 3x5
    Bench: 220lbs 3x5
    DL: 330lbs 1x5
    Press: 125lbs 3x5
    PC: 155lbs 5x3.

Thank you

It doesn't make any difference the way the weight feels. When you're pulling 500 x 5, it will feel the same heavy. Right now you are severely underweight. Add a gallon of milk a day, starting this afternoon.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

Hi, Mark.

Thank you for answering. I know that it's supposed to be heavy, but I thought it's way too heavy as I've already failed it. I thought it might be form problem, but if it's not I will eat harder...
    I, very unfortunately, can't afford GOMAD. Milk is mad expensive in Norway (2.6$ for liter is cheapest I could find). I'm trying my best with rice, macaroni and pork/salmon. Yes salmon is cheaper than milk

Don’t take three breaths in the hole. One breath, squeeze and pull. When the weight gets actually heavy, these long pauses will cause you to miss reps.