starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Grip, and other issues

Default Squat Grip, and other issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my third set of five.

Most glaring issue to me is grip. I've worked my way in from having middle fingers on the outer ring to pinkies on the outer ring and pointers on the inner ring. Any cues for bringing this in are appreciated.

Second issue I see is the knee slide.

Third is most noticeable I think on the last rep with lifting the chest.

Any others? Cues?

Thanks

Neither grip nor knee slide look bad from here. Are you experiencing pain?

The cue for not lifting the chest is to drive your hips or ass up instead. Looks like you're doing that with the help of a nice bounce out of the bottom.

Only thing I see potentially bad is a lack of upper back extension. You sort of hunch over before each rep (after the breath, and also right before the descent).

Anybody else seeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    Neither grip nor knee slide look bad from here. Are you experiencing pain?

The cue for not lifting the chest is to drive your hips or ass up instead. Looks like you're doing that with the help of a nice bounce out of the bottom.

Only thing I see potentially bad is a lack of upper back extension. You sort of hunch over before each rep (after the breath, and also right before the descent).

Anybody else seeing this?
    He is not pinching his shoulder blades together, which makes his thoracic spine a soft mess, so he compensates for this lack of tightness by dive bombing the final third of his decent, which in turn leads to knee slide for compensation, due to the centripetal force driving him too far back. Plus, he is three inches too deep.

I thought my grip was too wide. My left wrist moves between flexion and extension throughout the set. Plus I'm trying to keep more of my hand on the bar, because the most comfortable grip is with only the ring and pinkie fingers on the bar. That doesn't produce pain.

On the third rep and a little on the fifth, it looks like my knees go backward on the ascent.

To your point on the hunch, I've felt the strongest looking closer on the floor - Not I'm doing that correctl either.

There is a LOT of movement of the bar during the reps, and I think eliminating the bar movement will help. Notice how freely the plates are spinning? It is most noticeable at the top of your rather 'snappy' reps.

You are taking the 'thumbless grip' concept too far. Get the bar more into your hand, and use your hands to help squeeze (and stabilize) the bar. You are just putting your flat wrists loosely on top of the bar. Getting the bar more into your hands will help tighten up your back, which will help keep the bar still on the shelf you create. Doing all of this will put more pressure on your shoulders, but recall Rip saying "it's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be tight". Also, nothing against orange bars, but does it have a center knurling? I think your knees and feet look pretty good -- maybe try to get your knees set a tad bit sooner -- but you do seem to have a good recoil out of the bottom. Depth looks great. The wrestling shoes are flat and OK for deadlifting, but I bet you would benefit from a raised heel for the squat. You are a strong dude -- keep it up.

Yeah, you're "pre-bending over", so stop that. Just pause it at the 8 second mark and that's the start position. Pause it again at the 9 second mark and notice you've bent over some, but haven't actually started the rep.

You're bombing into the hole, so you need to stay tight through the whole movement. You start with a controlled descent and then just let it go about half way down, don't allow that to happen. "Squat down, don't fall down".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ndimopoulos View Post
    I thought my grip was too wide. My left wrist moves between flexion and extension throughout the set. Plus I'm trying to keep more of my hand on the bar, because the most comfortable grip is with only the ring and pinkie fingers on the bar. That doesn't produce pain.

On the third rep and a little on the fifth, it looks like my knees go backward on the ascent.

To your point on the hunch, I've felt the strongest looking closer on the floor - Not I'm doing that correctl either.
    You are not pinching your shoulder blades.