starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power clean 60kg form check

Default Power clean 60kg form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Now 5 months into my NLP. BW 82 -> 100 kg.

I’m gonna try to add power cleans back into my program after not having done them due to a previous cervical spine injury. I really do like this movement pattern bc it feels so different from everything else I do in the gym. These felt pretty light at this weight. We’ll see if I can continue with them as the weight goes up. I see my elbows bend before the “jump” so I need to work on that part of the movement. What else should I be working on? Thanks.

Power clean 60kg - YouTube

Eye gaze direction is a problem. Read the blue book.

Why don't you use bumper plates? They're easier on the bar in case you drop it.

The Power Clean is all about rhythm and aiming forcefully for the sky; it's really difficult to do so while staring at the bar.
    It's probably better to start from scratch, learning how to clean the bar from the hang position.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Eye gaze direction is a problem. Read the blue book.
    Ok, re-reading and starting over. My gaze and chin tuck was to protect my cervical spine as I do with deadlift. That won’t work with PC?

Eye gaze, as Rip mentioned. You see the "arm pull", so yeah you need to fix that. Now. Stance looks too wide to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTrout View Post
    Eye gaze, as Rip mentioned. You see the "arm pull", so yeah you need to fix that. Now. Stance looks too wide to me.
    Thanks Bruce!

Protect it from what? The correct eye gaze is there to keep your cervical spine in a normal position, which let's your back musculature arrange itself correctly, not to "protect" it from anything. If you injure your cervical spine deadlifting, even incorrectly, I'm afraid it's over for you

"Chin tuck" is not performed during the deadlift. If you're "chin tucking" when deadlifting, you're also deadlifting wrong.

Rip had mentioned to keep the chin tucked somewhere in regards to cervical spine with either squat or deadlift. I don’t have the reference. But the chin tuck is a cue for me to not look up too much and pull with my neck. I use it on deadlift and it keep my spine neutral throughout the movement.

Also, I did rupture two discs deadlifting before… c4-5 w cervical radiculopathy. It WAS over for a few years.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico Garcia View Post
    Rip had mentioned to keep the chin tucked somewhere in regards to cervical spine with either squat or deadlift. I don’t have the reference. But the chin tuck is a cue for me to not look up too much and pull with my neck. I use it on deadlift and it keep my spine neutral throughout the movement.

Also, I did rupture two discs deadlifting before… c4-5 w cervical radiculopathy. It WAS over for a few years.
    The cervical spine stays in normal anatomical position. Doesn't sound like a "tuck" cue would help this for most people, but cues are often very individual things.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast