starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat 275lbs after reset. Am I too vertical? + back rounding (again...)

Angry Squat 275lbs after reset. Am I too vertical? + back rounding (again...)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

So after I reset from 3 failed sessions in a row on 285lbs and added a light squat day, I worked my way up trying to keep my back tight and straight. Apparently I couldn't do that, it still rounds on last reps, though I'm trying to keep my elbows higher, and trying to brace harder.

Video of 3rd set.

On top, I think I'm being too vertical here. What do you think?

I've actually completed 285lbs but it was same horrific back rounding (video got deleted unfortunately), felt like even more flexion than on this vid. I don't know if I should continue adding weight, I'm seriously afraid that this amount of flexion might mess up my back.

I'm 18/6'2/220lbs, this is 13th week of program. I gained 30lbs in this period of time (video is from previous week actually, now I'm 222lbs). Eating 4-4.5k cal, getting 9 hours of sleep, adding 2.5kg(5.5 lbs) to the bar.
    Sq/Be/Dl/Pr/Pc : 285/222/345/130/165.

I've got a video of 280lbs, but it's very poor quality and I'm wearing dark clothes, so I didn't want it to be a form check video(and it probably wouldn't pass moderation). But as a follow-up, here it is.
    It's 1st session of the week, and on 3rd session of that week I've completed 285 3x5.

Faster knees.

Come down off the ledge.

“Butt Wink” | Mark Rippetoe

Horrific back rounding? Come on....your back looks fine. I see you grinding on the last rep, and the bar-speed is a bit slower, but there is no 'flexion that might mess up your back". Add 5 lbs and keep going.

I think you're being a little hard on yourself with the flexion, it's not "horrific" in my opinion. Focus on keeping a proud chest all the way through and that should help.

What does "3 failed sessions in a row" actually amount to? This might be more of a programming issue than a technique issue.

Your back isn't rounding AT ALL. You're doing the thing where you get out of your hips too soon and "lead with your chest". Try to think of keeping your back horizontal as long as you can, until your knees are almost done extending. Similar to how you "establish your back angle early", you should be letting it go *late.*

If you deload these, I will find you.

Hi, Bruce
    Thank you. So when I got to 285lbs squat, I stalled there, didn't manage to get more than 6 reps across 3 sets (1st session 3/2/1, 2nd 3/1/1, 3rd 3/1/1). After that I reset 10% and introduced a light squat day. Worked my way up, and this Tuesday I failed 1st set of 290lbs squat.

In conclusion, it took me 4 weeks(1 to stall on 285, and 3 more to get back to 285lbs after reset) and 12lbs weight gain to hit 5lbs PR(285lbs) and fail the next progression at 290lbs.

Though I think on 290lbs I managed to maintain stratight'er back. - Here is the video

SSCs from SS subreddit told me that I introduced light squat day way too late, and I should move to intermediate programming now. I started reading intermediate section of the book yesterday.

You have somehow failed to absorb what everybody here is telling you. Your back is fine, you're actually about 2 inches too deep, and you need to gain some weight. I'm sorry you're frustrated, happens to all of us.

starting strength coach development program
    If some other SSCs gave you programming advice, you're good to go. Your back looks fine. So, as long as you keep bracing hard like you have been you should be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast