starting strength gym

Thread: NLP Squat Form Check

Default NLP Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'm doing the SSNLP since mid Feb of this year. As it felt that my form was compromised approaching 170lbs I decided to film myself to check for errors. I believe I found quite a few (never noticed them during the squats alone). Hence, went down a couple of lbs and tried to fixed them in next workout. Am I on the right track here? Also, please excuse the angle, this was my only option for now without bringing a tripod to the gym.

I'm 34, 6'3" and 190lbs.

Last working set @ 170lbs:

Things I've noticed and tried to fix:
    - Knees coming in
    - Hips shooting back
    - Excessive depth (?)

Last working set @ 155lbs:

Still thinking that my hips are coming back too much. Any tips for cues I could use? Any other errors you notice with the form? And as I'm stuggling with chronic joint and back pain, by when should I start using a belt?

Thanks,
    Nik

This isn't a good angle.

Your hips are fine. As long as the bar isn't drifting forward, the hips "shooting back" a sign of hip drive. It'll be more pronounced when the weight is much lower than your bodyweight.

Your knees coming in is also not a big deal. Focus more on getting them out.

Your biggest issue is it looks like (though impossible to say from here) you are craning your neck upwards throughout the rep. Look down. This is causing some secondary "looseness" throughout the rep. Fixing this will fix that.

We can’t see shit looking at your ass from the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    This isn't a good angle.

Your hips are fine. As long as the bar isn't drifting forward, the hips "shooting back" a sign of hip drive. It'll be more pronounced when the weight is much lower than your bodyweight.

Your knees coming in is also not a big deal. Focus more on getting them out.

Your biggest issue is it looks like (though impossible to say from here) you are craning your neck upwards throughout the rep. Look down. This is causing some secondary "looseness" throughout the rep. Fixing this will fix that.
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. You're right regarding my neck - I've started looking upwards due some lightheadedness during my reps, which I never adjusted again. I'll try to fix that, thank you.

And I'll find a solution to film with a better angle.

Thanks all,
    Nik

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    And I'll find a solution to film with a better angle.
    The solution is to place the phone in a better position and shoot it from there.