starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check please- trying to focus on master cue

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok…here’s my attempt to get this corrected. During these sets I really tried to initiate the movement by pushing back with my hips.

I watched each set during my rest time and tried to make adjustments. I noticed a lot of knee movement during the first set, so I decided to video from the front to try to see what was going on. On seeing that video, I wasn’t sure if I was pushing my knees out too far, and the movement was them coming back to the right position? On the 3rd set, I didn’t try to push them out quite as far and that seemed to eliminate a lot of the knee movement. Although it’s still there, I also noticed less heel movement and the bar wanting to shift forward at the bottom.

Bottom line…to me the 3rd set seemed much better (except for the first rep where I didn’t push my hips back enough). Of course I could be way off, but I AM trying to self analyze so I can improve my own ability to self correct. Thanks to everyone for all their input and patience.

Set 1- 280
    Set 1- Squat- 280 - YouTube

Set 2- 280
    Set 2- Squat- 280 - YouTube

Set 3- 280
    Set 3- Squat- 280 - YouTube

Jason,

I replied above before I saw your post. I will check out that video and let you know what I think. Thanks.

Here are the latest. I feel like I am getting my butt back further and earlier, but not on every rep.( and possibly still not enough) I am still getting that forward motion on the bar on some reps, but not all of them. For example I feel like reps 1 and 5 on set 1 look better than the rest.

I won’t keep continuing to post sets and will try to do another form check after a while of trying to get this figured out.
    As I continue are the main things I should look for in my videos a vertical bar path? Heels not coming up? And knees not shifting toward at the bottom?

It seems these are all symptoms of the same issue with getting my hips back enough and my back more horizontal, is that correct?

Set 1- 285
    Set 1-Squat- 285 - YouTube

Set 2 -285- wasn’t pleased with this set at all
    Set 2- Squat- 285 - YouTube

Set 3- 285
    Set 3- Squat- 285 - YouTube

You're focusing too much on sending your ass back that you are doing it before you bend your knees. Bend your hips and knees at the same time right from the beginning.

Heinz,
    Thanks. I noticed that too. It’s like I can get one or the other correct. If I break knees and hips at the same time, I don’t get my weight back. If I focus on getting my hips back, then my knees break late.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The bar is drifting forward on the way down. Your position on the way back up is a byproduct of this.

Leaning over more ("breaking at the hips") has to be compensated by sitting *back* more ("breaking at the knees"). Your knees are slow, which means your back angle gets more horizontal as you go deeper. Your back angle needs to be established right at the top, and your knees need to break to facilitate it before the "drop." The master cue is probably the thing to focus on here, but you're not actually executing it: don't let the bar drift forward. Break at the knees and the hips at the same time and go straight down. Don't go too fast so you don't move off track.
    This is a really good explanation and is helpful for me. Can't wait to try it out the next time I squat.

Your knees have to be set first. That's step one. Then you focus on sending your ass back. This happens automatically if you are bending over enough (pointing your nipples at the floor). So maybe try cueing "knees then nipples".

Ok. I’ll try and simplify what’s going on in my minds and give those two cues a try. Thanks.

Ok guys. Here’s my attempt at applying what Heinz suggested as well as another comment from another form check about getting knees OUT AND FORWARD. I think part of my problem was pushing my knees out, but not forward which was causing a lot of that forward knee movement at the bottom. I recorded my warm ups today as well and really tried to focus on getting my knees out and forward and pointing chest down.

From my evaluation this is an improvement from before. I am not seeing that forward knee movement as much at the bottom and bar path appears more vertical on the ascent. I’m am not claiming these are exactly correct, but just curious if you guys agree that these are an improvement. I still think my knees could get set earlier.

Am I on the right track?

135 Squat Warm Up
    Squat Warm Up- 135lbs - YouTube

185 Squat Warm Up
    Squat Warm Up- 185 lbs - YouTube

235 Squat Warm Up
    Squat Warm Up- 235 lbs - YouTube

275 Squat Set
    Squat- 275 lbs - YouTube

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

That looks a lot better.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. My sets today looked very similar. I think thinking knees out AND forward was the key in my brain. Thank you again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast