starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check please- trying to focus on master cue

Default Squat form check please- trying to focus on master cue

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys…it’s been a while since I’ve posted and was wondering if I could get eyes on my squats. I was really pitching forward at the bottom so I’ve been trying to keep my torso slightly more upright than I was coming out of the hole and trying to focus on the master cue.

Specifically wondering if my hips are going back to much instead of up on the ascent too much? Also if my knees are going forward too much at the bottom.

It seems as I make an adjustment to one thing I end up throwing something else off. Thanks in advance.

Set 1 -Squats- 320 ( rear quarter)
    https://youtu.be/uO5mGeJowgg?si=puY3PHVWzseyeq70

Set 2- Squats 290 (rear quarter)
    - YouTube

Set 3 Squats 290 (side view)
    - YouTube

Un-private the last two videos.

Sone. Sorry about that.

Look at what your feet are doing. Then ask why that might be the case.

Martin,

My heels come off the floor slightly at the very bottom of the rep. Weight is slightly in front of midfoot. This is the issue I have struggled with since I starting learning the low bar squat. I understand what is happening (bar being to far forward), but I’m struggling to understand WHY it’s happening and what to do to correct it. Trying to focus on the master cue has helped, but I’m still struggling with feeling the bar want to go forward right as I start to push.

For reference, here are todays sets. I dropped weight and REALLY tried to focus on sitting back, even trying to start with the weight on my heels at the beginning of reps. I think I had a little less heel movement but even on some of the better reps, the bar still wants to go forward as I begin the ascent and I have to get it back in place. This can especially be seen on the side view.

Set 1- 275 (rear quarter)
    Set 1 -Squat- 275 - YouTube

Set 2- 275 (side view)
    Set 2- Squat- 275 - YouTube

Set 3- 275 (rear quarter)
    Set 3- Squat- 275 - YouTube

To me it seems like it has to be one of two things ( but I could be off on both).

1. When I get to the bottom, I’m still not back far enough, and I need to sit back more. This is what I am consciously thinking of right now as I squat, and trying to be “on my heels” in an attempt to compensate for the fact I tend to have weight forward.

2. When I get to the bottom, I am in a descent position, but as I try to initiate hip drive, my torso angle goes slightly more horizontal pushing the bar forward of midfoot and then it has to be lifted back in line over the midfoot.

Am I on the right track with either of these or am
    I way off?

One more time, then I stop commenting on these: YOUR BACK IS TOO VERTICAL. This is almost always the problem, but you guys can't get the image of a front squat out of your heads.

The bar is drifting forward on the way down. Your position on the way back up is a byproduct of this.

Leaning over more ("breaking at the hips") has to be compensated by sitting *back* more ("breaking at the knees"). Your knees are slow, which means your back angle gets more horizontal as you go deeper. Your back angle needs to be established right at the top, and your knees need to break to facilitate it before the "drop." The master cue is probably the thing to focus on here, but you're not actually executing it: don't let the bar drift forward. Break at the knees and the hips at the same time and go straight down. Don't go too fast so you don't move off track.

Coach Rip,

Thank you for the feedback. I will really focus on getting more horizontal earlier in the rep on my next sets. I assume since doing that will place the bar further toward my toes, I need to compensate by shifting my weight back even further? That’s the part I’m really struggling to get handled. At the very bottom the bar always feels a little “in front”, which is why my heels shift up, and I think my back being too vertical was my way of trying to keep the bar “in the slot” above my midfoot. I will try to correct it and post an update. Thanks so much for the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank50 View Post
    I will really focus on getting more horizontal earlier in the rep on my next sets. I assume since doing that will place the bar further toward my toes, I need to compensate by shifting my weight back even further?
    This is a simple geometry problem: as you bend forward your ass goes back, so the bar stays over the mid-foot. This happens earlier, rather than later, in the descent.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank50 View Post
    Coach Rip,

Thank you for the feedback. I will really focus on getting more horizontal earlier in the rep on my next sets. I assume since doing that will place the bar further toward my toes, I need to compensate by shifting my weight back even further? That’s the part I’m really struggling to get handled. At the very bottom the bar always feels a little “in front”, which is why my heels shift up, and I think my back being too vertical was my way of trying to keep the bar “in the slot” above my midfoot. I will try to correct it and post an update. Thanks so much for the time to comment.
    Maybe the master cue isn't the right one for you right now. Thinking about your feet doesn't seem to be achieving what it needs to.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2ZDJf6vMY

I don't think I've ever said this advice before, but... Get your head INTO your ass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast