starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check 325x5

Default Squat form check 325x5

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwQeqjDVTs

prior to this set I had done a 1RM PR at 405, and then this was my 3 set of 325x5 backoffs

not sure if this matters, but 50 yrs old, 225 lbs, 6'1"

thanks,

Chuck

Do not post above-parallel squats on these forums.

Your upper back is completely soft, and your back angle changes throughout the rep. These are good mornings with some knee English.

First, I apologize for wasting your time with the first video. Regrettably, this was the first time I have videoed myself and in hindsight, after seeing the feedback, I immediately saw what you did. I wish I had posted a video when I started the process and did not waste so much time with incorrect form.

I dropped the weight to 185 and this is my 3rd set of 3. I think I have corrected (hopefully) the two issues that were pointed out. My plan from here would be to restart NLP from this weight focusing on the guidance you've provided.

185 x 5 - YouTube

I understand that your time is valuable and greatly appreciate the feedback you provide so if you are able to look at this second try, that would be great, but understand if this is a one-time look per person. Thanks for providing the guidance in any event.

Chuck

Depth is good on these. But it would be much easier to get that depth if your knees stopped tracking forward as your hips drop. This would require a more horizontal back angle.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Depth is good on these. But it would be much easier to get that depth if your knees stopped tracking forward as your hips drop. This would require a more horizontal back angle.
    I'm very surprised that he had to drop from 325 to 185 to fix the depth issue. Is a full squat that much harder than a half squat? Just curious.