starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check

Default Press form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It looks like I'm struggling with the bounce here from what I can see.. Trying to flex my quads and abs while simultaneously handling the load but something doesn't seem to work. I would very much appreciate tips on what I may be doing wrong here and how to improve. Also am I overextending my lower back? It feels like it and I'm not sure if that's right as I do have a little pain there which I'm not sure if good or bad after this exercise.

I'm doing 45KG (100 lbs) here.

Press 45kg form check - YouTube

Thank you.

As a follow up on this, I had (bad) lower back following the Press. That’s the one exercise I am not confident about and seem to fail to tighten my glutes/quads/abs I suppose and keep all of that part as one and only move the hips. How can I tackle this? Perhaps lower the weight by 10KG for technique and go up from there slowly with 2.5kg increments?

Have you read the blue book?

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    Have you read the blue book?
    No, but I did watch many of your tutorials regarding the press. Is there some information I am missing that is in the book?

Get tight anew before each rep. You are cranking these out very quickly. I don't even see an attempt to move the hips.

Related to that, people extend their back much more aggressively during the press and our fine. I very much doubt these are doing anything to your back. These are strict presses

Narrow your grip: the bottom of the press should begin with chest up and elbows a little forward of the bar. It's not a passive position.

Widen your stance a little bit: it should be around your squat stance. This might help you get your lower body tighter, but a lot of that is intentional. Just try harder. Try REALLY hard. Don't think about joints: just squeeze everything as tight as you can get it. Put your fingerprints into the bar and squeeze your asshole into your throat.

Dan: You're overextending your right wrist, instead of holding the bar low in the palm, with the weight over the bones of the forearm. It's hard to tell with the angle in the video, but you do not seem to be doing this, or at least not as much, on the left side. Are you sure your lockout isn't twisted? That might explain some low back pain...

Like Maybach said, you're banging through these quickly. Try locking out hard at the top, stopping there, and squeeze the shoulders up really tight. It should feel like you're trying to push your biceps into your ears, like you're trying to get another half-inch of height on your lockout. Treat your set as five distinct singles, not one long rhythmic event, and that should help you concentrate on execution, one rep at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    ...and squeeze your asshole into your throat.
    I love ya, Maybach, but... Ew...

Thank you all for your comments, highly appreciated. I got the blue book and got through the Squat & Press sections. This is me trying to go by it (took down the weight to 37.5kg - 82lbs to work on the technique).

The main thing was my stance, when I changed my stance to more of a Squat stance I kept my knees locked and could remain tight easier around my abs and quads. I do not feel any back pain anymore (also without belt was fine).

Second rep felt bad, I felt like I pushed it way back and lost a little balance but feel quite fine about the rest. Thoughts?

Press 37.5kg - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    You've added the hip movement, which is good. Now make it faster. Shove your hips forward as fast as possible. You should feel the bar "bounce" upwards. Then it's all about timing. Start your press just as the bar is rebounding.

Coaching Tip for the Start of The Press | Nick Delgadillo