starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 225

Default Squat Form Check 225

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've ran the squat up from 95 to 225 here. I have hit a few snags with both adductor pain (lifting shoes solved this), and sharp pain in my upper thigh when hitting depth(widening out my stance and shoving my knees out more fixed this). Finally starting to feel like things are getting heavy again here, and I want to make sure I haven't picked up any bad habits along the way. Also wondering if the depth looks good here. I feel like I am going deep, but the video and the picture I have in my mind usually don't match up. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

24 years old, 157 pounds

https://youtu.be/CskD5NLFA58

Yep. That is how you squat.

You are going TOO deep. See how your pelvis kind of "sags" through the last five inches? Your hamstrings are shortening and sticking you at the bottom.

Your stance is still too narrow. Widen it another like, six inches and keep your toes pointed out. "Bounce" off the adductors and hamstrings, don't "push" past them.

The pain in your upper thigh is probably just impingement of the soft tissue. This will also be fixed with the

Put your head between your shoulders at the top; right now you are slouching over and your upper back is flexed.

After you do that, lean over more to start. See your back angle at the bottom? That’s where you want it to start.

I think you can cut some depth, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    You are going TOO deep. See how your pelvis kind of "sags" through the last five inches? Your hamstrings are shortening and sticking you at the bottom.

Your stance is still too narrow. Widen it another like, six inches and keep your toes pointed out. "Bounce" off the adductors and hamstrings, don't "push" past them.

The pain in your upper thigh is probably just impingement of the soft tissue. This will also be fixed with the
    "Fixed with the wider stance."

Here's tonight's squat
    https://youtu.be/tN7JkDEfmKM?si=9QoUYcM1ATd_7cWR

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post

This makes perfect sense. I now understand why my knees always came back at the bottom, and why I seemed to be getting beat up and stuck in the 220-225 range. I was completely killing the bounce by relaxing my hamstrings a bit at the bottom. I bet this is why my deadlift has been suffering too..

starting strength coach development program
    You overcorrected just a tad: these verge on a little high. Split the difference and bring your stance in a hair.