starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back tweak while squatting - likely cause?

Default Lower back tweak while squatting - likely cause?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Male
    43 years old
    265lbs - very fat middle but with some muscle everywhere else.

Current working sets
    Squat 125kg
    DL 135kg
    Press 59kg
    Bench 85kg
    No belt
    Lifting shoes

I'm on about week 8 of NLP. I've probably averaged 2.5 sessions a week so far due to life and recovery. I have noticed the last few sessions have ramped up in intensity and are real 5RMs for me.

Since the start, I've found that my lower back feels like it cramps or fatigues when squatting. Often times by the end of the warm up sets it's quite sore and feels better when bending over and stretching it out.

I've had a coaching session because of this issue but there was nothing too obvious in my form that was picked up. I do have a lot of fat around the middle though. Due to this, and the weights I'm lifting, I do not use a belt at the moment.

Today, I warmed up and felt the same normal issue in the lower back. But this time, on rep 2 of the first working set, I drove up out of the bottom and my lower back popped and crunched and I experienced lots of pain. I did finish the rep and racked the bar but I'm now going to be dealing with a back tweak. It's very painful to walk upright or even move around right now.

I tend to find unracking and setting up before the first rep is the least comfortable bit of the set and can feel the weight down my back.

Is this a problem with overextending the lumbar spine and/or not being tight enough?

I constantly queue myself to drive with the hips, knees out, keep my eyes down, and stay tight. I make depth, just, but this is at the limit of my mobility.

Obviously I can't upload a form video from this workout but can try and find one from an earlier session, although I'm sure it's pointless.

I'm aware that there is a lot of variables and without a video this may be fruitless but I wonder if there are some obvious issues that cause this sort of thing?

Without seeing a video, the most obvious issue would be lack of a belt

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Without seeing a video, the most obvious issue would be lack of a belt
    Ok, thank you. I probably should be wearing a belt by now but it is hard with such a gut.

So does it sound like this would be an obvious injury caused by not bracing hard enough? It feels very much like it's the vertebrae being compressed (and perhaps over extended) more so than a muscular tear.

Do you know how many times back tweaks have been addressed on these forums? Look it up.

The short answer is that usually, back tweaks can occur without any obvious cause. A form error and a back tweak often co-occur, and there is good reason to believe some form errors can cause (or are more prone to cause) back tweaks. But perfect form is not a perfect defense against them. Any prognosis we can give you on these forums is going to depend on how it affects your next workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you know how many times back tweaks have been addressed on these forums? Look it up.
    Thanks but yeah, and I've read through a lot of the posts. I've not really noted any that were caused by a an acute incident during a squat though.

And although I say "tweak", I'm pretty sure this is more serious and I'll have to get it looked at.

So the questions I still have are - what are the likely injuries that this situation can cause? And what specifically about my form allowed it to happen? I'm surely not the first but can't find anything quite like it. Thank you.

Get it looked at.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Orange View Post
    Thanks but yeah, and I've read through a lot of the posts. I've not really noted any that were caused by a an acute incident during a squat though.

And although I say "tweak", I'm pretty sure this is more serious and I'll have to get it looked at.

So the questions I still have are - what are the likely injuries that this situation can cause? And what specifically about my form allowed it to happen? I'm surely not the first but can't find anything quite like it. Thank you.
    Some of the speculation will depend on what diagnosis you get...but frankly, it's kind of a toss-up between whether the barbell exercises cause injuries or just expose them. Given the low rates of injury associated with even badly done weight training, I'm inclined to assume more of the latter.

That said, that doesn't excuse bad form. A form check is the thing for that, not a post-mortem on an injury of unknown provenance. Cleaning up form is inherently forward-looking, so it needs to work on where your form is now, not where it was when your back tweaked on you before.