starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and squat form check

Question Deadlift and squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I need some feedback on my deadlift and squat form. I know there's much work on both, and I could use some pointers.

For deadlift, I just seemed to get the back flat. I think about all the cues - lifting chest up, belly between thighs. And it's kind of ok with warm-up weight but when it comes to workout set, I feel like I am rounding too much.

Here's the last set from my previous workout. I was going for 5x275 but managed to fail the last rep also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNOs5hczdoc

And here's my attempt at squat 5x215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDnUWtnD6w8

Thank you.
    I appreciate the feedback, whatever it is!

You simply pussed out on the last deadlift rep. Didn't even try it, after a non-limit fourth rep. The squats are high-bar. Read the book.

Thank you, I did, should have at least tried it! Apart from pussying out on the last rep, did the first 4 look decent? I did read the book, twice, but seems poorly. I will re-read it!

How tall are you, mate, or more specifically, do you have very long legs? Your deadlift looks very similar to mine - horizontal back and have to force/lean yourself back to bring your shoulders in line with the bar to get a slightly more upright torso. When deadlifting around 90%, I will make an effort to watch myself in the mirror as it is difficult to "feel" when you're rounding. I would also say that tensing to the point of stretching the belt adds to the tightness I can develop.

I'm quite new to barbell squatting (i used smith machine for 4 months before progressing to barbell) so cannot comment beyond my own experience. In order to hit depth with a heavy weight without too much of a hip hinge, I find that a wider stance with a slightly increased toe angle works, though that is probably because I've always trained sumo deadlift for high reps and adductor/abductor work. However, I use wraps to prevent the knee cave when squatting wide. I can reduce the stance width slightly when using lighter weights but that's not really the aim. Despite the squat being high bar, you look to be hinging quite a lot to ensure you maintain your balance. Perhaps some squat shoes would help alleviate this problem. I can only speak from the little experience I have but I'm sure more experienced lifters will definitely correct me.

I'm quite new to barbell squatting (i used smith machine for 4 months before progressing to barbell) so cannot comment beyond my own experience. In order to hit depth with a heavy weight without too much of a hip hinge, I find that a wider stance with a slightly increased toe angle works, though that is probably because I've always trained sumo deadlift for high reps and adductor/abductor work. However, I use wraps to prevent the knee cave when squatting wide. I can reduce the stance width slightly when using lighter weights but that's not really the aim. Despite the squat being high bar, you look to be hinging quite a lot to ensure you maintain your balance. Perhaps some squat shoes would help alleviate this problem. I can only speak from the little experience I have but I'm sure more experienced lifters will definitely correct me.
    Have you read the book? Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumMichael View Post
    When deadlifting around 90%, I will make an effort to watch myself in the mirror as it is difficult to "feel" when you're rounding.
    Not a very good idea. If the mirror is in front of you, you won't see your back anyway and put your cervical spine in an unwanted position. If the mirror is to the side you will twist your head which is stupid.

The rest of the stuff you said is equally as low in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You simply pussed out on the last deadlift rep. Didn't even try it, after a non-limit fourth rep. The squats are high-bar. Read the book.
    Since last check I have re-read the book, and added 20 lbs to squat.

This is my latest attempt 5x235. Since there is basically no mobility in my shoulders, I realized grabbing the bar wider lets it sit lower on my back and hopefully this more resembles low bar squat. I've been thinking about the belly between thighs cue and imagining that at least 45 degree angle between hips and back at the bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No8ssgBExgw

Latest deadlift 5x295. No quitting this time sir! But I don't know how to fix my back, I feel it rounds to much. I am again pushing my belly between thighs, squeezing chest up, and leaning a bit back on my heels before the lift, and it does look a bit more decent with lower weight. Maybe weight is too big? Should I go lower and fix my form first, what other cues could help me to straighten it?

https://youtu.be/8R_WJhz1w8I

Where are your eyes when you squat? You appear to be looking in the mirror. You live in Texas? Get some coaching. Seminar is this weekend, and we have room for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where are your eyes when you squat? You appear to be looking in the mirror. You live in Texas? Get some coaching. Seminar is this weekend, and we have room for you.
    Yes, I tend to check the form in the mirror, hard to beat that habit out. I do live just a few hours from Wichita Falls! I've signed up for the Self-Sufficient Lifter Camp in September. It's time to learn these movements properly!

starting strength coach development program
    Read the book before you get here.