starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift form check 231 lbs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Yeah, this is not the back not being in extension: this is the hip angle not being closed enough. That's why you make the adjustments to the stance.

Tuna, regarding the hips, here's a couple of things that have helped me.

First, for hip height, it was learning to think of driving my hips up for the movement that greatly helped me. It's similar in effect to the "push the floor away" cue, but for me thinking of shoving the hips up has helped cut out trying to straighten up my torso to vertical too soon. Thinking of it as what the kids call twerking, "point your bunghole at the back wall", and so on are similar. Thinking of the old-time strongman feat where they'd wedge themselves under a flat, wooden platform with several pretty ladies sitting on it, and lifting it by pushing up with their hips - that's the kind of idea.

A second one that's helped me has been lowering the point of visual focus at the beginning. For me, looking down closer to the ground helps, again with not getting a vertical torso in setup too soon. If you keep a neutral neck throughout the deadlift, your natural point of aim for your gaze will change significantly - starting by looking where you end cranks the neck up at the start, and I find that makes it harder for me to do what I should with the rest of the body. In your most recent video, I'd be looking about where that other barbell is in front of you, maybe even closer.

(It's off frame, but you're not looking in a mirror are you? Never look at the mirror.)

Thanks everybody, I'll try again.

276 lbs

I tried to start with higher hips to prevent them from shooting up at the beginning of the pull. I think rep 1 looked worst in that regard. Back extension feels more difficult in this position.
    Also concentracted on "pushing the floor away" rather than "pulling on the bar".

Formcheck much appreciated.

Is there a reason why you don't wear a belt?

Also... Take a breath, hold it, do the lift and let breath out once the bar is back on the ground. Repeat process for reps. Lift silently.

starting strength coach development program
    Back is coming out of extension a little bit on these. Try harder. Don't raise your neck: keep your gaze directed towards a point on the floor labour fifteen feet in front of you. Are these hook gripped?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123