starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - weight shifting out of the hole

Default Squat Form Check - weight shifting out of the hole

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Guys,

I’d love a little feedback on my squat form here. I’ve been trying to work out some kinks, but I’m having a hard time identifying exactly what I’m doing wrong.

I had noticed my bar path is wobbly at times, often shifting forward out of the hole, then shifting back. I had worked up to 355, but I noticed I was breaking at the hips first, so my knees were having to catch up at the bottom, which I believe was causing the forward shift. Below is the video for reference.

Squat 355- side view
    Squat- 355 - YouTube

To work on this I dropped weight a bit and am trying to make sure I am breaking knees and hips together and pushing my knees out. I am observing that I still see and feel the bar shifting slightly forward out of the hole, but I’m not sure what is causing it. I’m very consciously shoving knees out and trying to make sure I maintain my back angle out of the bottom, but it’s still happening. It seems to get worse as the reps process. I do think it’s better than it was, but I figured sone if you guys might be able to identify if it’s something I’m doing on the descent or as I begin to come up. It’s frustrating because I know it’s not as efficient as it could be and it’s costing me progress. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Here are my latest sets.

Squat Set 1- 325- rear quarter

Squat Set 1 -325- Rear Quarter - YouTube

Squat Set 2- 325- side view

Squat Set 2- 325- Side View - YouTube

Squat Set 3- 325- rear quarter

Squat Set 3- 325- Rear Quarter - YouTube

If helpful here is a front view from my last session

Squat -320 - Front View - YouTube

The bar is too low on your back.

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t feel it slipping at all so it’s interesting that you say that.

Would that contribute to the weight shift forward out if the bottom or is that a seperate issue?

Here are sets from today. I put the bar a bit higher. I think that obviously put my torso slightly more vertical. I still struggled with the bar shiftibg forward at the bottom, especially later in sets. Does anyone have any insights on that? Thanks guys.

Set 1- Rear Quarter
    Squat Set 1- 330lbs - YouTube

Set 2-Rear Quarter
    Squat Set 2-315 lbs - YouTube

Set 3- Side View
    https://youtu.be/sElDZiqkqvo?si=fjjGwa83v8qsP8tB

Quote Originally Posted by Tank50 View Post
    I had worked up to 355, but I noticed I was breaking at the hips first, so my knees were having to catch up at the bottom, which I believe was causing the forward shift.
    Good observation and good move taking some weight off the bar to re-learn this. You've improved, but continue to think about setting the knees (for the reasons you described). Unfortunately the plates obscure our view of your knees at the bottom position where it would be nice to know what your knees are doing.

Maybe try a stance just a tiny bit narrower. It looks from the front view that your knees keep caving in despite your efforts. I'd also say to tighten up the way you're carrying the bar. Wrists look loose. Make that nice shelf and give it another go. Maybe make a small reset in weight to help yourself learn these new cues.

You have to keep the bar over mid foot. If the weight is behind mid foot then your body will correct it on the way up by shifting forward.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank50 View Post
    Here are sets from today. I put the bar a bit higher. I think that obviously put my torso slightly more vertical. I still struggled with the bar shiftibg forward at the bottom, especially later in sets. Does anyone have any insights on that? Thanks guys.

Set 1- Rear Quarter
    Squat Set 1- 330lbs - YouTube

Set 2-Rear Quarter
    Squat Set 2-315 lbs - YouTube

Set 3- Side View
    https://youtu.be/sElDZiqkqvo?si=fjjGwa83v8qsP8tB
    These look pretty good, except for the soft knees at the bottom.