starting strength gym

Thread: Technique Review For a Broken man.

Default Technique Review For a Broken man.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Looking for some feedback on the Squats and Pulls. I will be in Wichita Falls this December to test for the coaching credential so want to make sure my technique is pretty. I included both the Squat and Pause Squat because I tore my hip labrum awhile back (turns out I got me some spurs in my hips) and it’s really wrecked my ability to bounce out with heavy loads. The Pause Squat, to a box at first, has been more useful since then. I toyed with the high bar to reduce the torque a bit on the ol’ hip but I felt my T drop 12 points and decided I’d rather carry the bar low, hip be damned.

445x4 Squat - YouTube (Squat 445x4)

425x3 Squat - YouTube (Squat 425x3)

Pause Squat 385x2 - YouTube (Pause Squat 385x2)

Deadlift 585x1 - YouTube (Deadlift 585x1)

Deadlift Back-off 455x8 - YouTube (Deadlift 455x8) *was going to be 455x5 but it became one of those fuck around and find out moments)

Thanks,
    Devin Kelley

Squats look pretty good. Look at the last rep of the 445 set, see the "chatter" on the way up? Do you know what caused that?

Pulls look good. Why didn't you wear the belt for the set of 8?

At the time it felt like my hips were just trying to get closer to the bar while I was trying to keep my hips moving up, not forward. So it created a sort of tug of war between me trying to, I think, instinctively shorten the moment arm vs. my intent to keep that arm long. When I watch the film though I think my chest and eyes were also a problem. It’s obvious I’m fatiguing and giving a bit under the bar, so I lose a little thoracic extension forcing my gaze almost down between my feet, kinda scrunching me up and that’s why I had to fight my hips to stay back? If that makes sense? Point is, that’s me trying to keep my ass back.

For the deadlift, I’m 6’4 it’s mostly legs and hips so there isn’t a lot of space between my hips and ribs. So the 4 inch belt doesn’t always feel that great. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Recently ordered a 3 inch belt from Dominion to resolve the inconsistency.

Devin, just curious - why are you posting videos from 3 years ago for form checks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Devin, just curious - why are you posting videos from 3 years ago for form checks?
    Took him a while to build up the courage to post?

Good pick up once again.

starting strength coach development program
    This is pre-injury film. So it’s what I compare my current film to while I work back from it.