starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This post is a response to a form check request in my General Programming post: How to switch to Intermediate Programming

I've posted three different sets.

- 152.5kg was my most recent squat I had filmed with a 45-degree angle. (I usually film from the back due to a asymmetrical bar problem I am working on)

- 167.5kg was my last successful squat increase.

- 170kg was my last increase that failed three consecutive sessions (reps by sessions: 2, 3, 2).

As of Monday, I reset by 10% and implemented the Advanced Novice tactic of 1 on 2 off.

Note: In my General Programming post, I had mentioned having exhausted all Advanced Novice changes and considered this final tactic more of an Intermediate Programming switch since you're only squatting heavy every sixth day. However, I’ve now decided to give it a try before fully transitioning to Intermediate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6L4NoMx9C4

Your knees and hips need to be shifted back about six inches. You are "high barring" these, even though the bar is in the correct position. Stay in your hips. A 2x4 or similar object in front of your toes might be instructive.

Well, I'll have a shot at this before the Master.

These are basically high bar. Back too vertical, knees forward etc etc... Which to me explains why your deadlift is lagging as the low bar squat is not helping to drive it, not excluding any issues with the deadlift itself.

Wearing all black is terrible for videos. Filming from the back is not helpful for anything but the asymmetry, which I would say has not improved. What exactly have you checked on that? Leg length? Arm length?

So, my advice is, learn the low bar squat, don't film in black, film from 45 rear unless told otherwise, and figure out your asymmetry issue.

I could be totally wrong too.

You're not totally wrong at all.