starting strength gym

Thread: Squat: vertical back angle fixed?

Default Squat: vertical back angle fixed?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi forum -

I received a lot of helpful feedbacks on my squat form from the thread Squat stance too narrow

Primary issue is my back angle is too vertical and it's more of a high bar squat. I re-read the squat chapters of the blue book and watched lots of squat videos which was helpful.

Here's my latest attempt. Does it look better?

https://youtube.com/video/pTxVA-ylutc?feature=share

Here's the video from a week ago, for comparison.

https://youtube.com/video/_THckpq0Kxo?feature=share

Thank you!

What the hell are you doing with your knees?

It looks like...you are breaking with your knees and THEN your hips, causing you to have to shove your hips "back" after the descent has already started.

Try to break at the hips first. This is a cueing approximation: the hips and the knees should break at the same time, but YOU need to try to break at the hips first.

Your stance is still too narrow.

Your grip is extremely soft. Bring your shoulder blades in more, and use this to keep your elbows down. The heel of your hand needs to be sitting under the bar, such that if a line were drawn through your forearm, it would intersect the bar. You are kind of "draping" your hands across the bar, which means you are using a combination of shoulder extension and torque through the forearm to hold the bar. Think of a black hole at the base of your spine that is drawing your elbows in.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    It looks like...you are breaking with your knees and THEN your hips, causing you to have to shove your hips "back" after the descent has already started.

Try to break at the hips first. This is a cueing approximation: the hips and the knees should break at the same time, but YOU need to try to break at the hips first.

Your stance is still too narrow.

Your grip is extremely soft. Bring your shoulder blades in more, and use this to keep your elbows down. The heel of your hand needs to be sitting under the bar, such that if a line were drawn through your forearm, it would intersect the bar. You are kind of "draping" your hands across the bar, which means you are using a combination of shoulder extension and torque through the forearm to hold the bar. Think of a black hole at the base of your spine that is drawing your elbows in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What the hell are you doing with your knees?
    fixed knees, grip (I think?)

Does this look better?

https://youtube.com/video/XhM8S2RiQoc?feature=share

Watch your knees at the top of the squat on the way up. You have somehow developed a double-knee-bend at the top of the squat. I've never seen this before.

Franklin, what exactly are you doing with your pelvic angle during each rep? You're breaking this movement up into unusual chunks, and I think I'm spotting something going on with you changing your pelvic tilt, and that may be what's initiating the distinct, choppy movement at the top. It's hard to tell with the dark clothing. You're not thinking of tightening your abs specifically, are you?

If you are doing what I think I see, then it'll be affecting your lower back - check out this video, and see if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZuB4t5cYkk

You want to get to where the movement starts and ends together, and is a smooth transition down and back up, while keeping the lower back in the same extension the whole time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Watch your knees at the top of the squat on the way up. You have somehow developed a double-knee-bend at the top of the squat. I've never seen this before.
    I think I understand what you're referring to. I do have the tendency to break my knees in two separate motions. I think doing it that way somehow helps me keep my balance better with the bar on my back?

Do you think this is bad for the knees?