starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check - Squat

Default Form Check - Squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, New here, I'm big Fan of StartingStrengthRadio!

Started my LP 8 weeks ago 33yo, 185lbs, 5 foot 10, Weight gain =15lbs since starting

Looking for some help with my squat, I'm new to low bar squatting, Wondering where I can make improvements and what I may be doing wrong.
    Currently struggling with leaning forwards, but working on it, I tend to lean into my right knee, and sometimes feel some very mild discomfort after squatting

Work Set 3, 5 reps, 107.5kg/237lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XejLNmkrAo
    Thanks in advance!

Your knees and hips are too far forward. To keep the bar in balance while you lean over, your hips need to go back. A TUBOW or similar object in front of your toe will help: don't let your knees drift ahead of your toes.

Once this is fixed, widen your stance a shade and drive your knees out HARD. Really lean over: point your nipples at the floor.

High bar. Your rack setting may be too high. I noticed you go on your toes to rerack. But you were also a mile away from the rack when doing so which is also a bad idea. Walk forward and hit the uprights, then lower. Wrists are incorrect, which is to do with your high bar position.

Welcome, Hanson. I see your weight shifting around forward and backward on your feet. You want them firm and even: Understanding the Master Cue | Mark Rippetoe

Notice that your slowing down on the way up and your looking forward coincide. Pick a low spot and fix your gaze on it. When it feels harder, make yourself keep the gaze DOWN and shove your hips up. An object or a chalk mark on the deck can help with this.

Also, set your hooks a space or two lower. You should be able to walk the bar straight forward until it hits the uprights, no ankle extension necessary to rack the bar. (See Dr. Sullivan's video, "The Omega Rep": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djuU1iEjL3c )

Am I right that your gym inexplicably has that squat rack on a mat that does not extend far enough out to walk a squat in/out without a change in the floor level beneath you? This is complicating that for you. If you can find a rack without that problem, do so. That's an accident waiting to happen, on both the walk-out and the walk-in. Otherwise, you'll need to plan your steps very carefully...

Still, lower those hooks. My rule of thumb is that you should be able, after a heavy set is racked, to be able to throw both arms over the bar and lean on it flatfooted to catch your breath. (You don't have to actually do this, of course, but checking that at setup puts it around the right height...)

Thanks all, Noted on the rack height/re rack, I’ll work on that.

Thanks for the pointers Maybach

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post
    High bar. ….. Wrists are incorrect, which is to do with your high bar position.
    Should I lower the bar further down my back?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Welcome, Hanson. I see your weight shifting around forward and backward on your feet. You want them firm and even: Understanding the Master Cue | Mark Rippetoe

Notice that your slowing down on the way up and your looking forward coincide. Pick a low spot and fix your gaze on it. When it feels harder, make yourself keep the gaze DOWN and shove your hips up. An object or a chalk mark on the deck can help with this.
    Thankyou, I’ll study this article before my next session.
    Yes I noticed the slow down, this is something I’m working on, however I feel my body move forwards when I look low and point my nipples to the floor. As I feel my weight shift forwards, it feels instinctual to raise my head almost in an effort to push my weight back into my heels, however I know this is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Am I right that your gym inexplicably has that squat rack on a mat that does not extend far enough out to walk a squat in/out without a change in the floor level beneath you?
    Yes I have no idea what happened when this rack was installed, there are other racks I can use that are on flat ground I’m just unable to film there

Thanks again for all of the advice, I’ll get to work and come back in future once I think I’ve applied everything.

I hesitated recommending moving the bar down your back just because it looks right from here. But moving it down a shade might be warranted. A tighter upper back and grip will also help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishHanson View Post
    I noticed the slow down, this is something I’m working on, however I feel my body move forwards when I look low and point my nipples to the floor. As I feel my weight shift forwards, it feels instinctual to raise my head almost in an effort to push my weight back into my heels, however I know this is wrong.
    Now you know that said instinct is ill-informed. The next step is not to tell yourself "don't do that". It's better to cue yourself to DO something that counteracts it. Getting a visual cue to fix the gaze will help keep your head down.

Now you'll need an effective corrective cue to get your weight back. So what can you think of pushing back to get your weight to go stay further back over your foot? (Hint - it just so happens to coincide with what should be driving the weight up out of the hole anyway...)

Yes I have no idea what happened when this rack was installed, there are other racks I can use that are on flat ground I’m just unable to film there
    It's good to hear that, especially if you like this gym.

Thanks again for all of the advice, I’ll get to work and come back in future once I think I’ve applied everything.
    Glad to help, and looking forward to hearing good news as you get after it!

starting strength coach development program
    Should I lower the bar further down my back
    I've rewatched with better light. I'd say it's not as bad as it looked when I first watched. I still think it's slightly high but you definitely need to adjust your grip firstly. Plus Maybach doesn't think so and you are better off listening to him over me.

The bar you used has no centre knurling which won't help and the rack being the way it was may have swayed my mind.

Bottom line is fix the rack, fix your grip and other issues, move the bar slightly lower after that if need be.