starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    G'day everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

This is my current squat for your critique. It's the last set at 102.5kg which is a very minor deload after leaving the commercial gym back to my shed. It probably wasn't necessary but had another back tweak. Settled within two days. I'm too cautious(maybe cowardly).

https://youtu.be/wizi2AcrJH4?si=cP_nK5GdsVBY31Ss

I'm 36, 6 foot, now 92kg(I can't believe I used to weigh 65kg). I'm one of less than 5% of Western Australians to not have a COVID vaccination if you believe government statistics.

Injury history is l4 l5 disc injuries about 3 years ago which included lower limb numbness and became chronic for over a year, and a right tibial plateau fracture this time last year that saw me on crutches for 12 weeks. I avoided any surgeries for both.

I started walking on Christmas Day, squatting myself down to a chair in January and this is how far I've come since then, should probably be further along but a few sicknesses etc.

I was pretty happy with these. They feel pretty easy. I could probably use more hip drive and I have a little bit of wrist flexion. Very mild tennis elbow. My patella tendon is still not happy so I've been trying sleeves. I'm undecided but do like the warmth.

I'm doing a training camp with Byron in Perth soon so I'm sure he'll fix me but thought I'd post how far I've come.

Honestly, Starting Strength has saved me from almost all of my injury pain, got me on TRT, I can run and jump again without having to spend any time running or jumping and I've got a new direction to go in employment and a better outlook on my family's future.

So thanks Rip, for your continued help to a poor convict son like me.

These look pretty good. Just keep thinking about driving your ass up out of the bottom. Otherwise, you do a really good job of keeping everything consistent in terms of back angle on both sides of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    These look pretty good. Just keep thinking about driving your ass up out of the bottom. Otherwise, you do a really good job of keeping everything consistent in terms of back angle on both sides of the hole.
    Thanks Satch. I'll keep working on it. Byron will fix the rest next week I'm sure.

I also try to remind myself that even though I'm still weak, I've come a long way from where I began.