starting strength gym

Thread: Squat help - low back pain?

Default Squat help - low back pain?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello, here is a squat form check from a few weeks ago.
    Mark said I was a bit too deep on this, but just wanted to include it for reference Squat form check: 2 deep?

But starting last week on a Friday, it was a squat + deadlift day... Squatted 395 and felt an uncomfortable tightness in my lower back starting after the 2nd set. I wouldn't call it pain really, it was just incredibly uncomfortable, but not weak. I took extra long rests and continued my sets without failure, and even completed my deadlift that day as well. The tightness honestly resided a bit from deadlifting.

However, today, I felt that the lingering tightness was still there and I wanted to do a deload week, but I got to the barbell and decided to just hit my normal programming anyway.

The tightness returned immediately in full force after my first set, but I can continue the sets without fail. This was 400 today, but it is worrisome. Help? Advice? Deload my squat? If so, for how long?

Apologies for the camera angle, the gym on base is fairly cramped. https://youtube.com/shorts/0Kt7VOLg7...JXCGc6oSp7Yjmx

Thanks

Your cameraman has cleverly positioned the uprights so that we cannot see your hips.