starting strength gym

Thread: Goal of deadlifting 500 before I turn 40

Default Goal of deadlifting 500 before I turn 40

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I just wanted to share my progress with you and your team.

I first would like to start by pointing out that I am guilty of not doing the program.

Not surprised are you? Please let me explain.

I started training again back in September of 2022. I weighed in at 220 pounds (a little soggy) and I focused only on the following three lifts:

Squat-315 3x5
    Press-110 3x5
    Deadlift-325 1x5

My main goal was to deadlift 500 pounds before I turned 40.

I train these three lifts every time I am back on shift at the firehouse. I work a 48-96 work schedule and I shoot for training the first day back on. This has me training once every five days.

I also own and operate a farm full time on the side. I am married with two sons that take any of my extra time. My schedule stays full and honestly, this is all the time I wanted to dedicate to training.

After six months here are my totals.

I am currently 39 years old (09/1983), 5'8", and 230 pounds. My neck measures in at 17.75 inches and my waist is 39 inches.

I recently had to throw out all of my large t-shirts and buy new XL ones. The shirts were extremely too tight in the back and shoulder areas. My waist hasn't changed.

I recently was told that I looked like I had lost weight by a family member. They were shocked when I told them that I had actually put on weight.

My current lifts are as follows:

Squat-420 3x5
    Press-163 3x5
    Deadlift-465 1x5

My lifts are better than when I was in high school!

The other night I had to use a 2.5" fire hose (this one tends to push firefighters around and kick their butts) and it has never been so easy to handle.

I can now pick up off the ground and load those 225 pound molasses tubs into the bed of my 3/4 ton truck.

It feels good to be strong!

Blessings,
    Ryan Keller
    Cuero, Texas

update on my lifts

Squat-3x5 at 445
    Press-3x5 at 165
    Deadift-1x5 at 480