starting strength gym

Thread: Novice program with no bench and deadlift, Bill Starr inspired

Default Novice program with no bench and deadlift, Bill Starr inspired

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone, thank you for your advice in advance. I would like to know your input on dropping the bench and deadlift and focusing on the squat, press, power clean. I like the idea of sticking to three main exercises like in Bills Starr’s program, but I like the idea of 3x5 advocates by SS. So I was thinking something like:
    Squat:3x5
    Press:3x5
    PowerClean:3x3
    Repeating this every workout(obviously I will eventually have to make advanced novice changes like light squats, etc.)I will do some benching as an assistance exercises on the heavy day of an HLM when I’m an intermediate, but now as a novice i like the idea of just focusing on the press and power clean. I know you guys are gonna say it’s bad that I’m not benching and deadlifting, but Starr has obviously had success with this kind of approach so so it’s not that bad. What I really want to know though is how should I go about progressing. We squat and add weight every workout, so I don’t see why not for the press and power clean too. Should I add 1-2 pounds per workout?

Btw I’m using the Olympic/layback style press to press more weight than usual.

What's your rationale for doing this instead of a proven method for novice progression beyond "I like the idea of sticking to three main exercises like in Bills Starr’s program?" You're not providing enough information. Age/height/weight and training history + current lifts would go a long way towards making this sound less haphazardly planned. Have you actually tried doing the program as prescribed? If not, why not? If so, what were your results and what made you think about trying this approach?

Whoa, relax , I didn’t mean to make anyone upset. I don’t have some “rationale” of why I’m asking this, I just wanted to know if this approach was ok. I have nothing against SS, I’ve run it for some time, and I like it. I wasn’t trying to hate on SS or “replace” it. I just thought “Hey I wonder if this approach might work” and if the opinions were positive MAYBE I’ll try it. Again, MAYBE, because SS has been working for me. Anyway, I realized I’m not going to get much feedback on this, and I realize that SS is probably better, so I’m just gonna stick with SS. Just thought this idea was pretty cool, not trying to trigger anyone. So let’s just drop this discussion. Bye

P.S can I still use the double layback style press in SS? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby32 View Post
    Hello everyone, thank you for your advice in advance. I would like to know your input on dropping the bench and deadlift and focusing on the squat, press, power clean. I like the idea of sticking to three main exercises like in Bills Starr’s program, but I like the idea of 3x5 advocates by SS. So I was thinking something like:
    Squat:3x5
    Press:3x5
    PowerClean:3x3
    Repeating this every workout(obviously I will eventually have to make advanced novice changes like light squats, etc.)I will do some benching as an assistance exercises on the heavy day of an HLM when I’m an intermediate, but now as a novice i like the idea of just focusing on the press and power clean. I know you guys are gonna say it’s bad that I’m not benching and deadlifting, but Starr has obviously had success with this kind of approach so so it’s not that bad. What I really want to know though is how should I go about progressing. We squat and add weight every workout, so I don’t see why not for the press and power clean too. Should I add 1-2 pounds per workout?
    Just read Starr's book "The Strongest Shall Survive".

And read Andy Baker's pieces on HLM:

Simplifying the Heavy Light Medium System - Part 1: Introduction & Squats - Baker Strength Coaching

everything works until it doesn't work. You can certainly do the double layback although that is really probably best taught under the guidance of a coach. You should probably throw up some videos of your technique. Keep running your NLP until that fizzles out.

If Starr ran this program and even published it I’m sure it’s a solid program. I would chin in this program too.

I would caution that Starr wasn’t working with a representative population sample though ; he was working with athletes: young, explosive ones. If you are not a young, explosive athlete then you may be better off doing the deadlift. You may be better off with the deadlift anyway. Interestingly, I read that Starr wasn’t even a fan of flat bench press and he preferred inclined. Flat supplanted inclined in the program due to the ubiquity Of flat benches in high schools.

Bill Star program for throwing the shot,discus, etc was

Squat
    Incline
    Power Clean

What you propose is pretty much the same thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Seems OK to me. You won't get as strong without doing a DL and doing HLM will quickly become a requirement. I would personally start to go crazy only doing those 3 lifts, especially the mental/focus/energy requirements of the Power Cleans over and over.

I'd personally chuck in the odd day of Pendlay rows, shrugs, chins (as already suggested), clean and press/jerk, dips, front squats, beach work if only to just stave off boredom.

What is your goal with this program? Is it vindication for Starr or just an experiment?