starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will lateral raises help sagging shoulders or is OHP enough?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I guess the first question is, why do lateral raises at all? In my case, I started up again recently on a machine just for shits and giggles and nostalgia. But what's your reason?

That said, if you do lateral raises, do them to shoulder level if you can without pain. Otherwise, IMO, you might as well do shrugs, because you are not really working the delts all that much.

Given your history of problems, fractional loading will really be a must. You might consider cable stacks as providing a more consistent strength curve through the range of motion. It's a little different then with dumbbells. The rotary motion around the pulley is more of a constant. Also, cable stacks are easier to pin fractional plates to then dumbbell plate math.

Hope this helps, and I'm happy to provide any follow up advice. We are all in something of bro-land in this discussion.

Thanks! That makes sense. I'd rather not get too far out in bro-land. I guess I'll study up on how I should do that, and be very conservative on loading. Probably same thing for dead lift... might be time to roll a light load like that back into the mix. Maybe just dead lift, and see how that goes.
    Thanks again, I think this has got me on a better path. Maybe I didn't back off enough on the dead lift when I "decided" I couldn't. Exposing my stupidity here. We'll see how things respond. Thanks.

Glad to maybe provide some useful help.

As for deadlifting, I have been wandering in the wilderness with these for a well over a year. But just lately I may be getting back on track with them

(knocking wood hence hearkening back to his Druidic forebears)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    I have a question about this as well.

I know you have experience rehabbing shoulders, and I've had 3 different shoulder injuries recently. (Stupid injuries... all 3) The first two were rt rotator cuffs. and I rehabbed with Rip's video, adding lat pull downs, which worked great.
    My most recent injury was to my left shoulder, I assumed it was similar but the rehab has not gone as well as previous efforts. (though I'm making progress)

I couldn't dead lift with this, (so I got a Rogue SB-2 which was one of the ones you recommended... works great btw).
    I also sort of recently noticed (OK I'm stupid for not testing this sooner) that I had lost range of motion on my lateral raise, certainly I'd lost "no pain" range of motion.

Now I've been making slow progress, and am closer to being able to use a normal bar to squat. I can raise my left arm laterally to full range with much less pain.

Should I add weighted lateral raises... and if I do should I go to shoulder level.

Thanks if you answer or not, because I've already been helped a lot by your posts. (Mark Hurling and many others as well)
    Your PM Box is full.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Your PM Box is full.
    Sorry fixed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345