starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Strength Couples camp

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    starting strength coach development program
    We had a great weekend at the Couples camp. Even though some of you couldn’t make it due to flu and schedule conflicts, the rest of the group did an awesome coaching and training with each other.

Jon’s fiancé couldn’t make the trek from Oklahoma so he brought his co-worker and training partner, Landin, who did a great job following the teaching methods in both his lifting and his coaching. A talented athlete who played college baseball, Landin tweaked his form enough to feel much better in his squatting and his last work sets looked much better than his warm up sets. Jon is clearly keeping to the Starting Strength methods and has improved considerably in his lifting in spite of recovering from the Flu.

Earl brought his wife Susan who trained with Barbells for the very first time yesterday. She did an amazing job lifting; has a keen eye to coaching; and caught on very quickly to using cues to help Earl in his squats and deadlifts. Earl first trained at WFAC last November as he was passing through town and it was great having him here again. I look forward to seeing them again at an upcoming Starting Strength seminar or just dropping by to train at WFAC again.

As we read above, Vaibhav‘s wife couldn’t join him from Memphis so he was able to connect with Chris (who quickly was renamed Tosh.0) and complete strangers became training partners for the day. They both did an excellent job following the teaching methods and simplifying their cueing to benefit each other. Vaibhav is a self proclaimed over analyzer and I’m very proud of his hard work in keeping to the teachings. Both Tosh.0 and Vaibhav train alone so getting more confidence in their lifting form enables them to continue to make strength gains. It also serves as a reminder to those of us with great training partners and nice gym facilities to appreciate what we have.Remember Vaibhav, have fun!!!!

Having Mike and Donna from Harbor City CF come out for the weekend was a very special treat. It’s the first time I’ve seen them train together and they have a great dynamic. They are very encouraging but still push each other to do more. They illustrated perfectly the usefulness of changing up cues as Donna tended to push the bar away from her after each rep in the deadlift, we switched up the cue Mike was using with great results. This isn’t rocket science, but keeping things simple and useful in our coaching can have a very positive effect on each other’s training. They both had excellent feedback during the Q&A at the end of the day and were very helpful while a few of the guys were fine tuning their power cleans on Sunday. We even got to enjoy some North Texas traditions like Red Draws at P2.

Ryan Long, one of our Starting Strength coaches; competitive Power Lifter; and one of the family was here for the weekend as he is making his way from West Point to Fort Hood. It was great having him here to watch train and give input during the weekend. He also ate about nine of the 14 pounds of meat we grilled up for Saturday’s group dinner and watching him enter into his meat coma was kinda fun.

Thanks to all who came out for the weekend. I’m proud of your hard work and improvements in lifting and coaching. We had nice interest in this couples camp so I’ll do it again in the future.

For now, I have the Ladies Strength and Conditioning camp scheduled for April and will be conducting a Pulling camp in May. As always, keep us posted on your lifting and coaching progress!

jp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12