starting strength gym

Thread: Requesting input on squat

Default Requesting input on squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Generally, I work out alone in a secured facility where I can't bring a camera but I am currently on vacation and decided to take the opportunity a 14 day guest pass at Gold's affords to take some videos since I usually have no one to help me with my form.

Someone elsewhere on these forums commented on the only other video I've made that the bar was too high so hopefully I've corrected that today.

All 3 sets are different angles

Set 1
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=b-XZLz1CINs#t=19s

Set 2
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=eS89-qERLbk#t=25s

Set 3
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2jQky1jOeJc#t=15s
    Last edited by Serack; 08-28-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    Generally, I work out alone in a secured facility where I can't bring a camera but I am currently on vacation and decided to take the opportunity a 14 day guest pass at Gold's affords to take some videos since I usually have no one to help me with my form.

Someone elsewhere on these forums commented on the only other video I've made that the bar was too high so hopefully I've corrected that today.

Set 1
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=b-XZLz1CINs#t=19s

Will edit in the other 2 sets with different angles in a few minutes
    Well, you should take the opportunity to learn to take a video that's actually useful. This one's one of the poorer I've seen, so help will be limited.

These look like high bar squats done with the bar in the low-bar position. You're very vertical, seem to move your knees forward throughout the entire rep, and are going far lower than the SS model advocates.

Thanks, I had to move equipment for each of those shots, I've only done one more video and I'm pretty sure it qualifies as worse, but it was at a different gym.

Any advice on how to teach myself the proper back angle now that I've been using the wrong one the past 7 weeks? I've been unable to access the Internet since about 30 minutes after making that earlier post and I hope to do my next workout in 3 or 4 hours
    Last edited by Serack; 08-31-2015 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks, I had to move equipment for each of those shots, I've only done one more video and I'm pretty sure it qualifies as worse, but it was at a different gym.

Any advice on how to teach myself the proper back angle now that I've been using the wrong one the past 7 weeks? I've been unable to access the Internet since about 30 minutes after making that earlier post and I hope to do my next workout in 3 or 4 hours
    If the bar's in the right position on your back, your knees go forward the appropriate amount (and at the right time) while being shoved out correctly, and you keep the bar in its vertical slot over mid-foot (which you must once it's heavy), there's no angle the back can attain that isn't the correct one. A diagram would show this clearly. Have you read the book?

Don't think about 'choosing' or 'teaching yourself' a back angle. Like Adam said, The back angle just happens as the result of how everything else is set up. One general 'rule of thumb' as a starting point for the knees is to be about an inch forward of the toes, but considering how far you're sending your knees forward, I'd just thinking of holding them back and getting to the right position earlier.

It will help to have a coach, but if you can't get to one, I'd recommend getting the the book and watching the Art of Manliness videos on the Squat (Youtube). Also, check out this stickie on videoing form. It's hard to see a lot of what's going on because it's being reflected in the mirror and the equipment is between you and the viewing frame. A rear-quarter view not reflected in the mirror will probably be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    Don't think about 'choosing' or 'teaching yourself' a back angle. Like Adam said, The back angle just happens as the result of how everything else is set up. One general 'rule of thumb' as a starting point for the knees is to be about an inch forward of the toes, but considering how far you're sending your knees forward, I'd just thinking of holding them back and getting to the right position earlier.

It will help to have a coach, but if you can't get to one, I'd recommend getting the the book and watching the Art of Manliness videos on the Squat (Youtube). Also, check out this stickie on videoing form. It's hard to see a lot of what's going on because it's being reflected in the mirror and the equipment is between you and the viewing frame. A rear-quarter view not reflected in the mirror will probably be a lot better.
    Thanks for all the input. I did read the two stickies before making that video, but apparently my implementation was no good. If things aren't crowded when I go in a bit, I might be able to get a better angle.

I'm also reviewing the SS squat section, and I found this local barbell club that I might get coaching from once I get back home from vacation, although they are a bit out of my way.

starting strength coach development program
    I concentrated on shoving my ass out and it certainly felt differently and I got all my reps which was a problem for the past 2 5 lb increments. Thanks for the support.

Edit: I think this is the first time in over a month that my abductors didn't hurt after squats
    Last edited by Serack; 08-31-2015 at 12:31 PM.