220 x 5
    250 x 9

Weighted chins
    BW + 17.5lb x 2 x 5, 1 x 8

Squat
    265 x 3
    305 x 3
    340 x 3

Failed the 4th squat rep, somehow the weight came forward and I lost my balance and it rolled over my head. Fucking weak, I was going for 8. Haven't squatted in a week, going to seriously have to stop fucking around and start squatting twice a weak regularly, this squat once/deadlift once shit isn't going to cut it I don't think. Nice bench PR though and happy with the chins. But that is a fucking terrible squat.

July 20, 2011:

Press
    152.5 x 2 x 5, 1 x 8

Rows
    165 x 2 x 5, x 1 x 15

Squat
    255 x 2 x 5 (form practice + deadlift warm up)

Deadlift
    280 x 3
    320 x 3
    360 x 6

300lb Tire Flips x 100 reps

Press went well, rows I need to up the weight big time I think, probably jump to 175 for the next set, squats felt way harder than they should have but they were all good technique wise I think. Deadlifts went really well, even the fucking 280 triple felt hard though. But still crushed the last set so I'm glad to be making progress.

Workout took way too long, two hours for just the lifting before I did any conditioning. I need to figure out a way to cut that down big time and I also think I'm going to go back to the way I was programming my squats before my meet which was just linearly progressing a single top set of 5. Maybe do that on Mon and Fri and throw a lighter set of 2 in on Wed when I deadlift, I dunno, just need the volume and practice.

I was setting up a Texas Method template but man that fucking volume day is going to be a three hour marathon, I don't think I want to commit to that. What's the consensus on cycling the volume day for each lift, so you might do volume bench and intensity squat on Monday, intensity bench and volume squat on Friday sort of thing? Big no no?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post

300lb Tire Flips x 100 reps
    Wow! Just the idea is exhausting me.

What's the consensus on cycling the volume day for each lift, so you might do volume bench and intensity squat on Monday, intensity bench and volume squat on Friday sort of thing? Big no no?
    I can't handle volume on more than one lift per cycle. But then, I am anti volume for squats and deads.

It seems that with high volume multiple days of the week, your recovery may be compromised. Volume helps with recovery but too many volume days might tax the most mighty of giants.

It will be an interesting experiment to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Wow! Just the idea is exhausting me.
    Trust me it wasn't as hard as it sounds! Me and my training partner took turns doing sets of 10, eventually even doing sets of 20 because it wasn't too bad. I was soaked with sweat and winded when we were done sure, but the Prowler is going to remain my main conditioning tool I think. The tire is just a joke compared to the feeling you get doing low handle sprints with the sled.

I can't handle volume on more than one lift per cycle. But then, I am anti volume for squats and deads.

It seems that with high volume multiple days of the week, your recovery may be compromised. Volume helps with recovery but too many volume days might tax the most mighty of giants.

It will be an interesting experiment to watch!
    I think I've actually decided to more or less run Justin Lascek's S&C program for now. I never truly exhausted linear progression properly, nor did I ever even run a real LP program properly anyways. The workouts should be shorter this way, I can squat twice a week guaranteed and start a little lighter for the form practice I need. I am worried that benching only once a week will be detrimental but if I looked through my logs I would probably find I've only been benching once a week for the most part anyways due to taking usually 2 days between workouts or skipping them, so what the hell.

Monday:
    Squat 3x5 (start at 275, +5 per workout)
    Press 3x5 (start at 150, +2.5 per workout)
    Weighted Chins 3x5 (start at 20, +2.5 per workout)

Tuesday:
    Power Cleans 5x3 (start at 150, +5 per workout)
    Conditioning

Thurs:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5 (start at 235, +5 per workout)
    Row 3x5 (start at 175, +5 per workout)

Fri:
    Deadlift 1x5 (start at 315, +10 per workout)
    Conditioning

Will probably handle the resets Greyskull style by doing max reps on the last set so I at least feel like I'm setting some sort of PR at the lower loads. Will probably start doing 2.5lb increases on the bench after a couple of weeks as well.

Fuck I am brutal when it comes to program ADD. I think this will fit better for my needs though, keep the workouts shorter and get more overall volume on the lifts at the same time instead of just the one top set. Fingers crossed!

So I did my first session under the new plan today...

July 24, 2011

Bench
    235 x 2 x 5
    235 x 10

Power Cleans
    150 x 5 x 3

Squat
    225 x 3

Fucking caused a severe lumbar strain when unracking my power cleans. I let the bar jerk me down when dropping it and hurt my back really bad, can't bend forward more than about 20 degrees. Ive had many bad lumbar strains and every time I get one it becomes even easier to hurt it again. So fuckin pissed, had to shut down my squats completely to avoid further injury. Likely won't be back to squatting heavy for 2 weeks.

Going to be really aggressive about trying to rehab it but I imagine I won't even be able to squat 135 before next weekend. Hopefully I can still push the conditioning hard tomorrow at least, and do some bench and chins throughout the week if my back handles them okay. Everything else is basically out.

Fuck.

July 25, 2011

Conditioning from Hell
    10 Rounds of:
    20m sprint with 70lb sandbag
    20m sprint with Prowler (low handles)
    20m sprint dragging the Prowler with a chain
    20m sprint with the sandbag again back to the start

Holy fuck.

July 29, 2011

Bench
    240 x 2 x 5
    240 x 9

Weighted Chins
    BW + 20lb x 2 x 5, 1 x 7

Squats
    225 x 3 x 5

Prowler
    8 sprints, little longer distance than usual

Back is actually getting better faster than I expected but it's still super fragile, couldn't have gone any heavier on the squats without risking hurting it ever worse. I'll probably make 10-15lb jumps for the next couple weeks until I'm up around 275 at least and get back on track from there. Good bench today at least.

Aug 1, 2011

Press
    155 x 2 x 5
    155 x 8

KB Rows
    70 x 10
    105 x 8
    70 x 15

Squat
    235 x 3 x 5

Press was pretty cool, my rows suck, I need to work on those. Squat felt way fucking heavier than it should have considering this is all light ass rehab work for my back. But they were all clean as fuck and felt strong at least.

Tomorrow is power cleans and then the Crossfit "Fight Gone Bad" circuit for conditioning. Pretty sure it's gonna fuck me up bad :/ Would rather just push the prowler but the fact that I know I'm going to pray for death doing that circuit is enough of a reason to try it I guess.

Aug 2, 2011

Crossfit "Fight Gone Bad"
    Score = 178 (pathetic)

Aug 4, 2011

Bench
    245 x 2 x 5
    245 x 1 x 10

Weighted Chins
    BW + 22.5 x 2 x 5, 1 x 6

Squat
    245 x 2 x 5
    245 x 1 x 10

Prowler
    10 sprints in 10 minutes, killed me. I am now dead.

Back is healing up alright, squats felt nice and easy, could have easily done 20 reps but just wanted to keep it to light practice still. Gonna keep doing 10 pound jumps to 275 then move to 5 pound jumps from there.

starting strength coach development program
    Aug 8, 2011

Press
    160 x 2 x 5
    160 x 1 x 7

Inverted Rows on rings
    BW x 3 x 8

Squat
    nothing, chiropractor appointment tomorrow, back is still fucked so trying to keep it as good as possible for tomorrow

Prowler
    10 sprints in 10 minutes, more weight than last time. Way more dead, fucking awful.

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast