starting strength gym
Page 369 of 479 FirstFirst ... 269319359367368369370371379419469 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,690 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Good luck. I've had an SI joint injury that resulted from me stretching lol. It was terrible back then and I felt like I had tore something. I was forced to lower whatever I was lifting to something tolerable and kept increasing the weight whenever I was comfortable. I still experience nagging discomfort and a little pain but it's mostly gone now.

This sounds weird but I've found that I can "lock" my SI joint back into place by forcefully contracting my right glute (it's my right SI joint) until I hear a pop. It's hard but when it happens I feel instant relief. I'm not sure if that will help you now but if, God forbid, it becomes a long term problem it may be of help then.

Don't rush it, you'll be back stronger than before :-)

edit: just to add - stretching didn't help. In fact, I think doing so may have prolonged the healing time. Some stretching aficionados may persuade you to "stretch it out". Be vary wary.
    Last edited by Immortal_k; 05-20-2014 at 04:16 PM.

I was just spotting my younger son on the bench tonight. Not to be arrogant, but he's really lucky to have me pushing him, giving him really really good advice. Excellent cues as he's pushing to get 175 for 3x5. I've just learned so much in the past 3+ years, and I know he would not be able to approach these weights in the same manner without someone there yelling at him during the set. He grinded the 4th rep of the last set bone-on-bone. I MADE him rack it. It kinda pissed him off, but I told him he had 30 seconds to rest and he had to get 1 good and fast rep. He rose to the challenge and got 2.

It just makes me sad as I wish there were somebody here like that for me.

/pity party

6 rounds on the elliptical. I almost skipped this, because I was just feeling tired. I'm always so glad I did conditioning after I do it. I feel so much more recovered now.

Moved my high carb day from Tuesday to tomorrow. Figured I could use it more for bench than for light deadlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I was just spotting my younger son on the bench tonight. Not to be arrogant, but he's really lucky to have me pushing him, giving him really really good advice. Excellent cues as he's pushing to get 175 for 3x5. I've just learned so much in the past 3+ years, and I know he would not be able to approach these weights in the same manner without someone there yelling at him during the set. He grinded the 4th rep of the last set bone-on-bone. I MADE him rack it. It kinda pissed him off, but I told him he had 30 seconds to rest and he had to get 1 good and fast rep. He rose to the challenge and got 2.

It just makes me sad as I wish there were somebody here like that for me.

/pity party
    Awesome. I hope he realizes how lucky he is and takes advantage.

I hope he gets plenty swole

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Awesome. I hope he realizes how lucky he is and takes advantage.
    He really does, actually. I'm a pretty lucky Dad to have such great boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    I hope he gets plenty swole
    He's getting there, but the poor guy has to work really hard to keep his weight on now with his summer job. He's working 40-50 hours manual labor outside. We just had a discussion last night, and I told him he needs to pack stuff to eat as often as he can....calorically dense stuff. He's finally getting close to 180, but now he's losing again. I taught my boys to lift a couple years ago, but they haven't been consistent. I'm talking about my youngest here, who's about to be 19, and he's trying to be serious now. He's a typical kid in his procrastination sometimes, but he's been know to hit the gym when I'm about to crash after 11pm.

He's also lucky that it's just in the next room, and it's top notch equipment too.

Default Thursday, 05/22/14

Bench
    135x6
    185x5
    235x2
    285x1
    315x1 - PR
    I knew not to go for the 2nd rep, but I was so nervous I wasn't thinking. I kept telling myself I was strong enough for a double. TBH, the handoff threw me off quite a bit, so I rushed. Pretty sure the pause was not legit, but I think I pretty much kept my ass down.

So I'm this much closer to being as confident with 315 as I am with 300. Funny how just a stupid number can make me nervous enough to raise my heart rate. I'm thinking I need a lot more reps around 305 to truly own these 3 plates.

I don't feel like I fully displayed my strength, but I'm happy with the small PR and big milestone : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNKK9b4o_AE

Press
    135x5
    175x2
    195x2x4
    195x5 - PR
    So fun. On the 4th set, I tried touch and go, and decided I hate it now. I didn't plan this PR at all. I was assigned 5 doubles, but I thought I would at least triple the 5th set, and it turned into a set of 5. Need to get my head right for 225 Sunday, because I am 100% sure I'm strong enough. If only I could do my planned PR's without caring so much like this 5th set of presses today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u3FK_fNDKs

Circuit x4, 10 each
    Pushups
    Inverted Rows
    Rolling DB w/40's
    DB Curls w/30's
    2 rounds at a time without rest

Embeds:

Thursday, 05/22/14

Bench
    135x6
    185x5
    235x2
    285x1
    315x1 - PR
    I knew not to go for the 2nd rep, but I was so nervous I wasn't thinking. I kept telling myself I was strong enough for a double. TBH, the handoff threw me off quite a bit, so I rushed. Pretty sure the pause was not legit, but I think I pretty much kept my ass down.

So I'm this much closer to being as confident with 315 as I am with 300. Funny how just a stupid number can make me nervous enough to raise my heart rate. I'm thinking I need a lot more reps around 305 to truly own these 3 plates.

I don't feel like I fully displayed my strength, but I'm happy with the small PR and big milestone : )
    Nice work today! We are both in the same place with bench right now. I relate to the nervous part about a number - I have yet to actually put on 3 plates. I keep building 315 with other plates so I don't have to see the big plates. Like you said, I think getting more rep work around 300 will fully cement 315 being there anyday, under any conditions. What is your BW currently?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks! I weigh in on Mondays, and I was 192.5. I'm on a bit of a down trend right now trying to shrink the waste some.