starting strength gym
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: hrat's log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hrat View Post
    I have a lot going on right now, and my brain is working overtime. Brain dump to try to calm it down a little.
    Yesterday; didn't eat breakfast, had 2 coffees, then did nearly 2.5 hours of bouldering; more fingery/tech based than usual but not gentle for sure. Felt dead so ate a spoonful of sugar then did a mile run, and 4 hill sprints, in damn good time. I like proving my body is capable of supporting my idiot brain...
    I drink a lot of coffee. I also seem to have a resting heart rate of 45-50; not tried it lying down yet. But I can't run a mile in much under 9mins, so I'm hardly traditionally fit.
    DL in lifting shoes; I've been doing this to avoid the hassle of taking them off, and like it. Pros/cons?
    Bench/press I lift like a girl, and lose the line badly when the weight is too heavy. I feel if I could keep the line right, I could lift it, but I can't.

I have an adrenaline problem; thinking about lead climbing, about my upcoming comp, etc gets the adrenaline going, right now. I can give myself an adrenaline rush anytime I want, but I can't stop them when I don't want. I have started deliberately calming down when approaching the bar tho'. It seems to help. On PR sets it goes like; t-30sec get really nervous, heart racing, pace about. t-10sec approach the bar. Close eyes, breathe deep, imagine success. t-1sec F#&k yeah go!

I have a comp in two weeks, I'm not prepared and I have no idea what to go for, or how to prep. I plan to feel out what I've got this coming week then deload the week after. I'm horribly nervous and very excited. I want to pull 140. We shall see.
    Settle down girl! No need to burn yourself out worrying about things. If you're really focused on the upcoming comp, try to keep your physical activity focused over the next few weeks. I'm also on of those people that likes to do multiple things to keep my body occupied, but doing too much (and perhaps not eating enough to keep up with it all) won't serve you well for hitting PRs.

Seems like you are learning how to handle your nervous energy which will be an asset. Stepping up to the bar like a crazy woman can leave you unfocused, which often will mean lower quality lifts. Everyone is different in what gets them pumped to lift big, but in the meets I've been to, its never the people that are crawling out of their skin (or running around screaming like a banshee) that have the best lifts.

Breathe, develop a plan to peak over the next few weeks, and stick to it. Then go to the meet, be awesome, and tell us all about it

Don't worry, I'm not actually insane. I was hoping writing shit down would let my brain relax, and it seemed to work, at least mostly.

Checking the fit of my lifting singlet (not been worn for 6 months and couldn't resist a bit of flexin'

Last edited by hrat; 03-04-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Haha! Never thought insane, just exuberant

Exuberant, I like that. I do seem to be very smily-happy-approachable; random people ask me to take their picture, or comment that's it's cold when I'm walking in snow in a t-shirt. I decided a few years ago not to bother with stress and look at everything as an experience, and somehow it's worked.

Yesterday; wanted to feel out a squat goal. Got 80x3, 90x3+f upper back rounding badly, 4th just went down. Dropped to 80x1 then 85x1, 90x1, 95x1. Didn't notice the knees, just the back rounding. I think it's lack of upper back tightness; I haven't squatted limit singles since I changed my grip. Unfortunately only realised this walking home, so didn't get to test. But I'm hopeful that bringing grip right in might help.
    60x10, 0,4 Middle set just went down to the pins and forgot to squat, so called the 3rd set as it didn't look that great.

Today; paused bench practice. 45x1, 47.5x1, 50x1 all easy. 52.5xfail bar drifted up, straight to the pins. Reset brain, 50x1 fine. 52xfail, went down, decided to breathe. wft brain? Get it together. 50x1 fine. 52x1 more like it. Hard, hamstring cramp. Unracked 55 with a spot but clearly wasn't going to work, so did 50x1 again.
    Summary; 50x4x1 interspersed with failing anything even 2kg heavier. THAT is girly.
    OTOH I figured out what squeezing the bar means, and learned a lot about setup and the correct line. Have 2 more chances to practise for comp. Gah. Finished with 2x3 pullups and a 20min swim.
    Last edited by hrat; 03-06-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added today

Had a seminar to give today, and have got a bit of a cold; was tempting to go home sick since I didn't want to do the talk, but couldn't because it was deadlift day. Spent the day telling myself I'm not sick because I am going to deadlift. Seemed to work. Just a bit snotty.

Deads; 60x5,5, 80x5, 100x5 belt, hook grip. 115x2 Felt heavy.
    125x2.75 First rep fine, second a bit dodgy, 3rd got almost to lockout. Perhaps could have fought for it, might have wet myself if I had.
    120x1, 1hooked Fast, acceptable lower back.

Paused OH squats; 25x3+fail,5,5 35x1, 1+fail, 40x1,1 Some eejit walked in front of me on the last rep, had to yell at him to get out of the way before I lost the bar, and yelling under load always ends up louder than intended. Pretty big PR, most I ever did before was a 35 a few weeks back. Felt good, the heavier weights feel less wobbly, which I think is because if they wobble I ditch

I love the psychology to get it done. Nice job on the press!

More paused bench. I'm hoping drilling the form might give me a shot at an adrenaline based PR. 35x5, 40x5. singles at 45,47.5,50,50 Failed next 50 but in a good way, as in the line went right, I was just tired. Then did 45x3,4 still paused for more tech.
    Few PC and jks up to 3x1 at 40. Very slow and short stepping.

I do have a cold. I can't actually talk myself better, but I can talk myself out of exaggerating how bad I feel, and still perform well, just not top notch.

Comp prep going awesomely as usual (/sarcasm) Was up at 6am yesterday, and hadn't got to sleep until 2 then did a crap load of driving and talking to school kids. I'm still knackered. I have been eating a ton though, so maybe it'll work out.

Monday; squats 90x3 pretty good, 90x1 fast. Upper back was way better, but forced the grip too narrow and hurt my shoulder. Did 3x10 OHP with bar, some chins, few assisted dips and some curls for no particular reason.
    Today; 1hr of football/soccer, then squat 5s at 40,50,60 OK felt kinda heavy. Then OHsquat 30x3,35x3,40xf,1, 42.5x1, 45xfail; in fact failed the pushpress to get it up. Wobbly but great fun.

Went to see Spamalot at the theatre tonight. I love Monty Python, and this was awesome

Went to a friends wedding party Friday night, ended up drinking too much and not getting home till 3am. Had some naps yesterday, and since I was tired, slept really well last night, which I usually don't due to nerves.

My comp today was awesome; I wasn't expecting much so I'm extra pleased at how well it went.
    Squat 09, 97.5, 100, little more there, but it's been a mental block so I didn't want to push it.
    Bench only 50 (110lb), tried 55 for a third and kept the line but just couldn't lock it.
    Deadlift got a 135 (298lb) Got 140 over the knee for a third, but totally stiff legged it and was exhausted. Happy enough that it was a lift worth trying.

Only downer is that I weighed in 65.9kg, and if I hadn't eaten so much this week I might have been 64.5 like I was Monday for a 300 wilks.

Awesome, very happy, and can' wait to get back to training.
    Ate mostly choclate and junk today, having pizza now. Yesterday was sheer indulgence; bacon and scrambled egg sanwich with black pudding on side for brunch, then chicken stuffed with haggis and side of parsnips mashed with butter.

starting strength coach development program
    pretty impressive considering your naughtiness Friday night

remind us, was this your first meet?

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast