starting strength gym
Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: More Weight: Izzy T's Log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I like this better than the monster of a program I was staring into before.

Thanks, Carlos.
    You won't be thanking me after 5 sets of 5 on the squat...

But you're welcome, buddy. Now go crush some shit.

I figured if I'm going to use a TM inspired split, I may as well copy some ideas from the person who has gotten the best results from it on this site. I took a look at Les' log and I came up with this:

Monday:
    Volume Bench, Intensity Press:
    Press: 531
    Bench: 8x3 @ 75%
    Dips: 1x10-20

Tuesday:
    Upperbody Pulling:
    Chinups: 3x5-8
    Curls: 2x10-15
    Strict 1 Arm DB Row: 1x10-20

Wednesday:
    Heavy Squat, Speed Deadlifts:
    Squat: 531
    Speed Deadlift: 10x2 @ 50%
    GHR: 3x8-12
    Ab Wheel: 3x8-12

Friday:
    Intensity Bench:
    Bench: 531
    Paused DB Bench: 2x5-8
    Blast Strap Pushups: 3xX

Saturday:
    Heavy DL, Volume Squat:
    Deadlift: 531
    Squat: 5x3 @ 75%
    GHR: 3x8-12
    Ab Wheel: 3x8-12
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 05-29-2012 at 04:27 AM.

That looks pretty solid Tom. I just wanted to chime in and offer a little more info.

I just started working with 5/3/1 PL. I started using it with my DL first, since I couldn't go heavy every week with that lift anymore. I think going heavy every other week (the lighter week is 3x5 from 5/3/1) has helped. I still am not sure if I should fully jump over to 5/3/1 on my other lifts, especially since I can still make weekly progression going heavy. I sometimes change the top set's reps, but it is still heavy every week. I might even go back to that on bench/squat just for now. Another reason is that I am thinking about getting my non-wrapped squat up a little. If I want to compete in the APF/WPC, I need to get used to squatting heavy without them. I am weak off the bottom (big time), so the wraps really covered that hole for me.

If I were you, I would sort of do the same thing. Try to make weekly progression on the lifts first, then switch to something like 5/3/1 PL for the heavy day. Maybe your deadlift can already start on 5/3/1, since it has been difficult to progress on it. For squats and bench, you could do 3's for two weeks, then hit a week of singles. You could try a few weeks of doubles too. I would rotate the reps scheme a little every few weeks, but still try to hit a top near RM set. Run that until you can't, then jump over to the every other week heavy scheme.

You will know when it is time to change. I do think that something like every other week heavy progression works great too, but if you can still hit it heavy every week, why not? :-) Either way, I think if you stick with your 5 day plan for the next 6 months, you will see some great gains. As I have said in other threads, I've talked to lifters that started with either weekly progression or periodization pretty early in their career. This probably wasn't as optimal as linear progression, but in the end (after years of lifting) I don't think it really makes a difference. Being consistant over time is the key to success. LP is still awesome, since it quickly gets you going, and for some people, it is very motivational to see the lifts increasing quickly.

Thanks, Les!

My plan, as far as the 531 rep scheme goes, would be to stick to what I've been doing until it stops working. I've just been doing the 531 week over and over progressing it linearly. I'd like to exhaust that before I go to full out 531 style programming.

I went through some old videos trying to see what is wrong with my deadlift. I actually think my form has improved dramatically. I honestly don't think I really have shitty anthropometry for deadlift, either. It certainly isn't good, but I don't understand why I squat more than I pull. I didn't really get anything out of looking at the videos, lol. I'm starting to second guess increasing my workload for deadlifts. It almost seems like the only logical explanation is that I, personally, just can't handle all that much pulling volume. I don't see how else I would go from 405x1 two weeks ago to 375x0 just because I did some Kroc rows 48 hours before deadlift day. IDK, Maybe somebody else will see something:

405x1, 455x1, 405x3, 385x5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN2szuhq6a8
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 05-29-2012 at 05:03 PM.

To miss 375, I think some of it has to be psychological. I don't care what state I'm in or when my last squat day was, there's no way I could miss that % of my max on any day. As for the programming side, you and a lot people on this board tend to sacrifice shitloads of weight on your deadlift in order to squat more frequently. I think a lot of people are probably trading like 100 lbs on their pulls for 30 lbs on their squats. I think you've begun to realize this recently. You need to be pulling with 72-96 hrs rest since your most recent squat and/or back work. I don't think it's a form issue at all. Less frequent pulling might work for you. I've been pulling only once every two weeks for a LONG time and it works well for me.

It has happened to me numerous times. Even in a perfect state of mind for lifting, I've gotten 0 reps on something I did the week before for 5 (and easily for 5). I guess it could be psychological, but it doesn't seem that likely. Psyche-up is probably my greatest strength.

If I can't get my deadlift to go up, or at least remain consistent, with the reduced squat frequency, I'll probably try to alternate sumo/conventional on a week to week basis or something.

Use process of elimination: Was it technique? mental? or strength/lack thereof?

From the video, the technique isn't bad.
    You state that you were in the proper mental state.

Therefore, it had to be your strength level that day. You must have done something that affected your strength. Were you stressed out about something? Maybe it really was those Kroc rows? Are you getting sick? Whatever it was, I wouldn't worry about it since stuff like that is transient. You'll be back to normal in no time....its just one data point.

I agree with Kyle though. There are many people who sacrifice their deadlifts for small return on the squat.
    Last edited by Dwayne_KONG_Wint; 05-30-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add more stuff.

I do believe that it was a combination of the Kroc rows and treating the 375 nonchalantly. I didn't even consider the possibility of failure because 375 was just a warmup. I was supposed to work up to 415 for reps. Anyways, I expect to be fine this time around.

starting strength coach development program
    The whole idea of my squats continuing to drag down my deadlift is such a disgusting notion to me that I'm really not sure if I want to try to squat twice a week anymore. This is shitty because I'm now 100% undecided and uncertain of what I want to do starting next week.

Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast