8/22
    LP session 2

Squat
    235 x 5 x 3

Press
    115 x 5 x 3

DL
    275 x 5

notes: Squats flew and were easy, felt good. Same with press. Pulls however, for some reason low back right side just wont seem to improve much. feels like all power is drained from the start of the pull to about the knee, then i am fine and can lock out with ease. Also, I was rushing the setup and need to take my time since its only 5 reps i should be making every rep perfect. biggest thing for me is step 4 (raise chest to create the wave of ext.) i tend to skip that one and pull with a rounded back. i might be able to get away with it since im well below my threshold load wise, but once i start pulling 4 plates + again that round back needs to be flat.

other notes, kids are back in school and i dont know what to do with myself! i feel like ive never had this much free time in my life. knock on wood, but business is going smooth and streamllined so its pretty much taking care of itself right now and im loving it. plenty of time to read and garden and train/exercise. BB rx has training 2-3/wk and conditioning 2x a week as well, with a preference for HIIT. Need to find a grassy hill for sprints tomorrow.

8/24
    LP session 3

Squat
    245 x 5 x 3

Bench Press
    205 x 5 x 3

Chins (+2.5)
    5, 5, 5

notes: have re-adopted the thumbless grip on squats and I really like the shelf it creates on the axis just below the spine of the scapula. makes keeping a tight upper back easier. still have to focus on keeping wrists straight or it defeats the purpose of the thumbless grip, as i have a tendency to start having some thoracic flexion just as when i use thumbs around grip. really shoving the knees out in bottom seems to help with the stretch reflex. Brought my grip in on bench just slightly, so that the forearms are vertical, or perpendicular to the floor once the bar hits the chest. Also need to focus on keeping wrists straight. I may end up using wrist wraps for squat and bench. did chins with a baby plate as I am also LPing this movement for now. all reps done from a dead hang and chin above bar. In other news, since its not hockey season, I have been watching more netflix. currently on season one of Marco Polo. Mongols are bad ass: throat singing, horseback riding, continuous camping, eating beef on sticks, and wrestling....chill culture

Is Marco Polo a good series? I'll have to watch it too if that's the case. That's who my mom named me after LOL

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Is Marco Polo a good series? I'll have to watch it too if that's the case. That's who my mom named me after LOL
    It is a little sensational, not very realistic ie: kung fu fights in slow motion...but it is entertaining as has some historical references within. Worth a few mindless nights in bed

8/25
    Cardio-LISS

BW:223
    Treadmill - 3.5mph @7.5% grade for 30 minutes

notes: Wanted to do HIIT (hill sprints) but its a torrential downpour. Also looked into a C2 rower for HIIT but they are like 900 bucks. Im also not gaining weight, I need to add a shake to my day. Ideally for strength I need to be around 230 but that weight is hard for me to get too and even harder to stay at. When trainig, 215 is pretty baseline no effort needed. When not training it goes down to like 200

8/26
    Cardio-HIIT

Hill Sprints: 10yd, 20yd, 30yd hill sprint @ ~10%incline?? x 5 rounds

notes: took about 15-20 minutes. I used orange paint and paced off the distances. I would sprint the 10, then walk back downhill, immediately do the 20, walk back down, and finish with the 30 then rest a couple minutes. this resembled training with a barbell sooo much more than LISS. because of that i worry it might hinder my strength gains as opposed to helping. my quads and glutes got sooo much pump and fatigue. but i love the feeling of "blowing out" my lungs and really having to gasp for air. now time to rest and recover so that i can have a good strength session tomorrow.

8/27
    LP Session 4

Squat
    255 x 5 x 3

Press
    125 x 5 x 3

DL
    290 x 5

notes: Good news is my SI/Facet low back pain is getting better although it is still noticeable especially when pulling from the floor. Bad news is: my hip flexors and adductors are absolutely smoked from hill sprints yesterday. To the point I can barely lift my legs. My wife was laughing and like "how are you gonna squat?" But I got it done somehow, and the squats actually moved well. I like the thumbless grip and I envision myself shitting on the wall behind me (since my wall is so close to my ass) that cue seems to get me more horizontal and allows more use of the hips and posterior.

I am rethinking my plans for HIIT. Sprints were very intense and closely related to lifting IMO. I got a huge pump in the leg muscles, probably dues to the fact I was sprinting up a steep hill. Anyways I think HIIT may compete with strength training at this point. Despite the recommendation in BBrx I may just stick to 2x/wk LISS as treadmill work has no affect at all on my training. Otherwise, maybe I continue with HIIT (hill sprints) and just sprint at 50% next time ??? Advice welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    notes: Good news is my SI/Facet low back pain is getting better although it is still noticeable especially when pulling from the floor. Bad news is: my hip flexors and adductors are absolutely smoked from hill sprints yesterday. To the point I can barely lift my legs. My wife was laughing and like "how are you gonna squat?" But I got it done somehow, and the squats actually moved well. I like the thumbless grip and I envision myself shitting on the wall behind me (since my wall is so close to my ass) that cue seems to get me more horizontal and allows more use of the hips and posterior.
    Yep, that's a great cue. The SSCs that I've visited will yell "point that asshole to the wall" for the same effect. Similar with getting the hip drive in the Press - "get those balls to the wall". And many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    I am rethinking my plans for HIIT. Sprints were very intense and closely related to lifting IMO. I got a huge pump in the leg muscles, probably dues to the fact I was sprinting up a steep hill. Anyways I think HIIT may compete with strength training at this point. Despite the recommendation in BBrx I may just stick to 2x/wk LISS as treadmill work has no affect at all on my training. Otherwise, maybe I continue with HIIT (hill sprints) and just sprint at 50% next time ??? Advice welcome.
    Yep, that's why the section in BBRx is titled "Not Recommended: Running and Jogging". There's too much overlap and eccentric motion.

I know that a few posts up you balked at the price of the C2 Rower. Fair enough. But it is absolutely worth it for these situations. You can completely smoke yourself with a Tabata workout that won't interfere with your Squats (or anything else). Unless, perhaps, you go straight from the rower to the rack. BTW, one thing that's impressed me with C2 is that $990 price point is what it was in the "before times". Unlike everything else, they didn't take advantage of the situation and they haven't chased inflation for a quick buck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post

Yep, that's why the section in BBRx is titled "Not Recommended: Running and Jogging". There's too much overlap and eccentric motion.
    Funny bc I read that whole book so you think I would have gotten at least that out of it.

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast