starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New gym, westside?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I don't know any powerlifters... (only some PTs and CF types w/ squats in the 300s or maybe low 4s) but i find it practically impossible to "argue" about programming. You can talk about it like you might talk about religion or wine or "art" but there's no definitive science to fall back on or to arbitrate. Ultimately if people are friendly it's all "cool story bro" and you either try the stuff if it sounds good to you or you don't. The complicating factor of PEDs at the high level of all strength sports for the whole modern era confounds things further. It's pretty depressing imho.

(And when things aren't friendly... well see e.g. that chaos and masturbation thread next door (which i stopped reading a week or two ago) )

I would train there, just be careful about what changes you make to your form. I think you can sort of put the TM split in the context of Westside style training. I've read that some guys doing Westside raw will not work up to a 1RM every week. They will do 5RM, 3RM's, etc sometimes. They also don't box squat all the time. They try to keep normal squats in the rotation every other week or every third week. Doing a little research about the conjugate method for raw lifters might help you devise a good workout plan that fits the mold of your new gym.

Look at your strengths/weaknesses too. If your squat is still moving up nicely, then maybe stick with your model on a split routine. Do a volume day and ME day. This should fit their DE/ME day type schedule. For your other lifts (bench/DL), you might want to try something different to see if it works better. Maybe just follow along with them for a couple of months on those lifts and see what happens.

The other option would be to train there on the ME days. You could do the volume/speed days at home.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    I don't know any powerlifters... (only some PTs and CF types w/ squats in the 300s or maybe low 4s) but i find it practically impossible to "argue" about programming. You can talk about it like you might talk about religion or wine or "art" but there's no definitive science to fall back on or to arbitrate. Ultimately if people are friendly it's all "cool story bro" and you either try the stuff if it sounds good to you or you don't. The complicating factor of PEDs at the high level of all strength sports for the whole modern era confounds things further. It's pretty depressing imho.

(And when things aren't friendly... well see e.g. that chaos and masturbation thread next door (which i stopped reading a week or two ago) )
    That thread ended up being very valuable. You should catch up.

I think you are a lucky bastard. I wish I had that opportunity. Carpe diem my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    That thread ended up being very valuable. You should catch up.
    i was highly skeptical... but you're right. (Mr. Narvaez is, i think, overly enthusiastic, but i've bookmarked it for another read later as i'm myself looking to change things up soon.)
    Last edited by veryhrm; 06-25-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: misspelled mr. Narhwal

Last edited by Rachel Crass; 07-05-2012 at 04:46 AM.

No one is forcing me to train their way. If I were to show up and do my own thing, no one would stop me. That's what I did my first day there. But the awesome group atmosphere is sorta lessened if everyone is doing things completely differently.

Narvaez. English way: Nar * vez. Boricua way: Nahrr * vye * esz

My last name is always on some Bret Farve shit with people pronouncing/spelling it wrong. It just doesn't process in English or something. But yeah, I'm 1 cheeky kunt, mate.

I'd do their program if it was me. I know plenty of BEAST raw west side lifters on BB.com. 2000+ @ 308, 1800 @ 198-220, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Narvaez. English way: Nar * vez. Boricua way: Nahrr * vye * esz

My last name is always on some Bret Farve shit with people pronouncing/spelling it wrong. It just doesn't process in English or something. But yeah, I'm 1 cheeky kunt, mate.
    Sorry, yo. Fixed. But from now on... i think it'll be Mr. Narwhal. Watch out for TBone though: if she loses her unicorn horn she might poach you next time she needs to stab something.

starting strength coach development program
    lol. No worries. About 1/20 people get my name right the first time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast