starting strength gym

Thread: Triples and fives on presses

Default Triples and fives on presses

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It might seem a daft question but I moved on to triples on presses since fives stopped working and have been doing them for seven workouts without a fail. Should I switch back to fives or wait until triples stop working?

As a side question, do you recommend doing eccentrics fast or slower on benches and chins?

Thanks in advance.

So you made a change that made your programming work better. Why undo it? Seven weeks is a long time. You might get seven more. And if this stops working, you can try something else.

Congratulations. I only got three weeks out of triples. I wish I had your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    So you made a change that made your programming work better. Why undo it? Seven weeks is a long time. You might get seven more. And if this stops working, you can try something else.

Congratulations. I only got three weeks out of triples. I wish I had your luck.
    Fair point. I'm just a bit surprised it's lasted seven workouts (which is 5 weeks). Mind you, I've been making 0.75kg jumps.

Sometimes cycling back to fives can work pretty well after an exposure to heavier triples for a while. After you get what you can for 3s, cycle back to where you died out on 5s and see what you can get out of them

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Sometimes cycling back to fives can work pretty well after an exposure to heavier triples for a while. After you get what you can for 3s, cycle back to where you died out on 5s and see what you can get out of them
    Thanks Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I would assume that it likely depends on the person, but after going back and running out 5s again, is it worth it to switch back to 3s? Or at that point is it better to change to a more intermediate style of programming?

starting strength coach development program
    I usually set up some sort of 3 week / 3 rep range rotation at this point. 3 week waves work really well for a whole lot of people