starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squat depth

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    There are two kinds of "butt wink." One is from the glutes changing shape as the become stretched out at the bottom of the squat. The other is an actual loss of lumbar extension. The former is obviously not an issue.

The latter is only an issue if it becomes a full-blown unlocking of the lumbars. It's the rare bird who can squat to just below parallel and not exhibit some tiny measure of lumbar flexion.

-Stacey

New PR's in paused squats:

315 for a momentary pause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZE2o1neY0&fmt=18

335 for a (very) momentary pause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwYT3ZMswjU&fmt=18

My all time best squat previously in this style (Rippetoe-esque) was 335 with a bounce, so I consier 335 minus a bounce to be quite a PR, an improvement of 35 lbs over my previous record of 300.

This now makes me curious what I'd get with a bounce, though...
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 12-16-2009 at 06:21 PM.

I have to also commend you on your chins. Those are legit chest to bar chins with a heavy weight.

I think my favorite comment so far was when someone suggested your knee wraps were too low.

Do you have any plans to return to a conventional squat without the pause? It certainly looks like you have your form dialed in.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I have to also commend you on your chins. Those are legit chest to bar chins with a heavy weight.

I think my favorite comment so far was when someone suggested your knee wraps were too low.

Do you have any plans to return to a conventional squat without the pause? It certainly looks like you have your form dialed in.
    Honestly, my gains have been consistent enough in my momentary paused style of squat so far that I think I'll keep milking this until it stops working.

I will definitely go back to a bounce at some point, but I figure I shouldn't derail a good thing while it continues to work.

Btw, here's Bill Starr's quote concerning the momentary pause/stop at the bottom of the squat he prescribes in The Strongest Shall Survive, and what I aim for:

"Go down slowly to a just below parallel position. Stop momentarily. This is an important point to always remember, for if a pause is built into every rep, there can be no rebounding. Do not relax when you stop, however, but stay tight so that you do not round your lower back and break position." - Bill Starr
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 12-16-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234