starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys' thoughts on foam rolling, mobility and activation exercises pre-workout

Default You guys' thoughts on foam rolling, mobility and activation exercises pre-workout

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was on stronglifts yesterday and the owner plugged one of his buddies' buddies website where this dude was talking about doing foam rolling, mobility and activation exercises pre-workout to help you lift more weight. It sounded really interesting, and I was wondering if any of you guys did any of this (especially the foam rolling) and if so, how well does it work?

BTW I didn't post the link to the article because the video is just a shameless sales pitch. He talks about the stuff i mentioned above and then goes on and on about how his program is great without actually showing the program (which he is saving for a later date and perhaps for a fee).

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

I don't know crap about foam rolling techniques yet, but I just made one. I used a 4" x 2' black ABS pipe and glued an old piece of a camping sleep pad over it. It's amazing. loosens my legs up, cracks my back, works out knots around my shoulder blades etc. It even work on your pecs and calves if you do it right. That's my .02

I think there's worse ways to warm up, but I never noticed any benefit to contorting myself right before the workout unless I was injured. Even then I was better off doing remedial "activation" exercises (e.g. face pulls, overhead shrugs, and scap pushups for shoulders) for sets of 10-20 after the main lifts as accessory work and warming up with 5 minutes jogging on a treadmill and 30 reps of the main lifts in singles, doubles, and triples with pristine form before going above 50% of 1RM. For general mobility work--i.e. stretching--I'd rather do yoga on my off days after I run hills. I rarely even bother with the foam roller anymore.

Listen to John2336.

I personally think rolling is absolutely important for a warmup. I use it to basically run a diagnostic on myself, to find out what is sore and then use some target-specific rolling to massage and click everything (if it is out) back into place. Shoulder dislocates with a broomstick are great diagnostic tool also....do whatever you want for a warmup though, whatever will make you be able to lift as comfortably and injury free as possible. Rolling is definitely one way to do that though...

As someone who now needs double hip replacement surgery because he was an idiot as a young trainee and didn't take care of himself, I can attest to the fact that foam rolling, mobility, and activation work is essential to keeping yourslef healhty while getting strong.

Some guys go way overboard with it, but you simply need to roll the parts that tend to get really tight, beat up, adhesions/scar tissue etc in them - places like the piriformis, glute med, adductors, and IT band - as well as the back because it feels awesome - is a great way to start your warm - up. I also statically stretch my anterior hip (flexor) every single session and because mine are so f'd up I stretch the glute med/ and piriformis area as well.

I also bath in blue heat or biofreeze.

I'll post more shortly, about what we do for warm-ups, but its simple and doesn't take long and I can tell you what works for me and my gym members and we've been doing this for a long time. (But right now I'm a teacher and have lunch duty - ah the joys of supervising junior high kids).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    I'll post more shortly, about what we do for warm-ups, but its simple and doesn't take long and I can tell you what works for me and my gym members and we've been doing this for a long time. (But right now I'm a teacher and have lunch duty - ah the joys of supervising junior high kids).
    I'd be very interested in this if you would be willing to post it up, Matt. BTW, the latest article was very good, it's nice having someone of your caliber contributing on this site (one of many people, actually).

-Hat

Foam rolling, mobility exercises whether before a workout or done afterwards are the single best thing I have done for my body. I am 54 yo and have worked out for years. Often I would have to layoff or cut back in my workouts due to injuries. Since incorporating this stuff a few years ago it has transformed my ability to train for long cycles without injury or if I feel one coming on (ex: forearm tendinitis) I know what to do to head it off.

If I do it before a workout combined with dynamic stretching I am much less stiff and consequently my exercise form is better.

Here's some stuff from me/and STRONG Gym...

"We believe that you must include in your training a proper warm-up, as well as restoration techniques to keep the body healthy. Training is our passion, not just a hobby, and is viewed as a long-term lifestyle change that requires sacrifice and dedication. Techniques such as foam rolling, dynamic and static stretching, and cardiac output work as well as proper rest and nutrition are vital to staying healthy and continuing to make progress long term."

Here is exactly what I do...

Lower body days:
    1) Foam roll/ lacross ball roll/pvc roll (back, hip abductors and adductors, flexors, it band) - 3 minutes
    2) Static stretch glute med/ piriformis/ hip flexor - 2-3 min
    3) Dynamic hip based mobility: leg swings, fire hydrants, walking lunges, bodyweight squats. - 3 min
    4) Low volume plyo jumps and some basic core work - 5 min
    5) Start lifting.

Upper body:
    1) Foam roll/ lacross back, upper body (and I also do my hips cause they are a mess)
    2) Dynamic shoulder girdle based mobility (band stretches, pull-aparts, dislocates, etc.)
    3) Inverted rows, hammer curls (1-2 sets easy)
    4) Med ball slams, upper sled explosions, a few plyo pushups
    5) Start lifting.

The entire process takes 10-15 min and I feel a million times better and properaly warmed up and ready to lift.

I stretch post training sessions and foam roll before. If I neglect either of these for more than a couple of training sessions I get so tight just walking around becomes a burden because my whole body feels like its held together by super tight rubber bands.

I also believe (no proof however) that most of my previous injuries in the weightroom were due to being way to tight.

starting strength coach development program
    i was just thinking of this today.
    i "found" my IT band today and worked the living shit out of it. it is very painful to do but a few hours later, i feel so much better. i was tight and had no idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast