starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 43M about to commence SS

Default 43M about to commence SS

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi there

After a fairly intense period of research, everything seems to point me to SS.

I'm 43 year old male, 6'5" and skinny at 170 pounds. I'm fit and active and have just completed a year of Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell which has made me stronger and more athletic, but left me much the same weight, which is it's stated aim - "strength without bulk".

But at this stage of my life, I'm sick of being skinny and am motivated by the noticeable body comp changes I noticed with Enter the Kettlebell.

As I mentioned, all research seems to indicate that SS is the program for me. My goals are increased strength and the physique change that comes with that, along with increased athleticism.

No real questions at this stage, just wanted to check in.

I will be proceeding slowly - I've had some AC joint issues when pressing the bell, and some niggling golfers elbow that chin ups seem to aggravate (not so much pullups). I've had to take a couple of breaks due to these issues and hate the feeling of not being able to train so will not be rushing to progress my weights in SS too quickly.

I'm a little concerned that the SS pressing might flare my AC issues so am spending a few weeks doing some shoulder work with just a resistance band - working on rotator cuff strengthening.

At my age and at my height, are there any other issues I need to be aware of?

I'm still thinking about diet and researching that. I do want to try and eat fairly clean. I'm lucky in that I have access to raw milk straight from a dairy, from pasture-ranged Jersey cows. I pour it straight from the vat myself, as much as I want. It's delicious and seems to agree with my stomach just fine.

You will get aches and pains so learn to do soft tissue work using a foam roller or a lacrosse ball. This could help you get started: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1259323
    Doing this has really helped me be more consistent with my workouts. I am 55 yo and almost your height, 230 lbs. I suffer from forearm tendinitis every now and then but using a lacrosse ball and stretching really helps. Mobility work is also of benefit as is doing L flyes for my rotator cuff. Do this stuff regularly to try and head off injuries. Workout consistency is key.

When doing the SS program - work on your form. Take video and analyze your form. Even after you think you have your form down take video now and again. As the weights get heavier your form may start breaking down a little.

I, too, am 40, 6'5 and over 300 pounds. Stop playing with rubber bands and do the program. Benching pressing with good form and pressing with good form as the program requires is all the "strenghtening" you shoulders will need.

You may have to start benching with less than 135 and pressing with less than 80 pounds, but no worries. The shoulder will strengthen as you do the program. That's the point of the program. Take it slow and drink your milk, Flaco. Enjoy your gains.

Quote Originally Posted by bongoman View Post
    Hi there

I'm 43 year old male, 6'5" and skinny at 170 pounds. I'm fit and active and have just completed a year of Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell which has made me stronger and more athletic, but left me much the same weight, which is it's stated aim - "strength without bulk".

But at this stage of my life, I'm sick of being skinny and am motivated by the noticeable body comp changes I noticed with Enter the Kettlebell.

As I mentioned, all research seems to indicate that SS is the program for me. My goals are increased strength and the physique change that comes with that, along with increased athleticism.

I will be proceeding slowly - I've had some AC joint issues when pressing the bell, and some niggling golfers elbow that chin ups seem to aggravate (not so much pullups). I've had to take a couple of breaks due to these issues and hate the feeling of not being able to train so will not be rushing to progress my weights in SS too quickly.

I'm a little concerned that the SS pressing might flare my AC issues so am spending a few weeks doing some shoulder work with just a resistance band - working on rotator cuff strengthening.

I'm still thinking about diet and researching that. I do want to try and eat fairly clean. I'm lucky in that I have access to raw milk straight from a dairy, from pasture-ranged Jersey cows. I pour it straight from the vat myself, as much as I want. It's delicious and seems to agree with my stomach just fine.
    If you are 6' 5" & 170 after a year of training, then you should not be worried about eating clean, at least during the beginner stage. You need to eat a lot more. More protein, more calories, good calories, bad calories, and I mean a lot more than you probably think you need. If you gain a few pounds of fat along the way, you will (a) not really notice it that much mixed in with all the lean mass this will facilitate; and (b) you can lean up a bit after you wring all the progress out of linear progression of the beginners program (it will be even easier as you will have all that calorie-burning lean mass to help). It is really hard for someone that hasn't been bulking up to eat enough by eating too clean. It isn't like you need to stuff junk food, and you don't have to keep it up beyond the 3-6 months you are likely to be on the beginners program.

I had two goes at the beginner program with a couple year break in between. I'm a couple years older than you now, out weighed you by 60 pounds starting out despite your 3" height advantage, and was hardly svelte. But the first time I tried the program progress stalled repeatedly way too early when I didn't eat enough both protein and calories, and I was already eating fairly big. The second go around, I added even more food, got a lot more protein, and blew right past where I stalled the first time. Did I gain some fat? Maybe a pound or two, but I gained a lot more muscle and made better progress. I took off about 10 pounds of fat after the beginner program was exhausted & I had to do some traveling which kept me away from the weights regularly. It came off easily without much lean mass or strength loss, then I went right back to pushing and pulling more weight and eating big, although a bit cleaner than while I was on the beginner program.

The best way to tell is write down what you eat (you can use fitday.com for free & it will give you calories & protein, etc.). Post it here, and then prepare to hear a whole bunch of people tell you that it is no where near enough.

So, loosen up on the eating clean for a few months and eat bigger than you planned, and you will likely see steady progress and gains with hard work. After a few months re-assess, but the downside is truly minimal over that short a time frame.

Oh, and on the concerns with the press, you may find that the press & chins helps improve some of those issue. They may not, but don't assume you need to do additional exercises to pre-hab those issues flaring up, as the big lifts done with good form help solve some problems (you'll likely discover a few more aches and pains just to keep you honest).

Happy lifting!

Thanks for all the advice. It all makes good sense. I take up my gym membership in early Feb after a ski trip and will continue to do kettle bell swings and getups until then.

Well, I couldn't wait and took up my gym membership today an so did my first workout.

I found my starting weights in the squat, bench and deadlift. I am going slowly and took note of when the bar slowed to settle on my starting weight. I am determined to not push too fast as is my usual tendency in new things and don't want to injure myself.

I was surprised that my bench was higher than my squat. Not sure if that is of concern.

I will be able to train for 3 weeks but will then be away for 10 days skiing and am not sure of how best to resume training upon my return.

I'm a real beginner but feel qualified to answer those two questions - your squat will outpace your bench quickly, don't worry about where they start. 1) the squat will go up as your technique improves and 2) the squat has a higher ceiling than the bench because the prime movers are the big muscles and 3) you are squatting every single time you go to the gym. As to "how to resume" - just resume, maybe take ten pounds off each exercise depending on how you feel.
    6'3" and 170 - wow you are skinny dude! I'm two inches shorter and 25 lb heavier and these guys think I'm a bean pole. They are gonna make you drink double GOMAD if you're not careful.

If I were in your situation I would train every other day (if possible) until your ski trip to maximize the time that you have. Then when you come back take a deload of 10-20%, let your warmups be the indicator here, and progress on the typical MWF approach. Welcome into the fold. Good luck with your progress and goals!

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by bongoman View Post
    Hi there

Hey Bongoman, Welcome aboard! First off, 43's the new 23, didn't you know that? Don't underestimate your potential... it's so far ahead of you, you can't imagine. Yes, you're going to have sore elbows at times, but if you do the program you will be amazed how much weight gets piled on the bar. Check out this current thread from the "Elderly" forum: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=21039 Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Hey Bongoman, Welcome aboard! First off, 43's the new 23, didn't you know that? Don't underestimate your potential... it's so far ahead of you, you can't imagine. Yes, you're going to have sore elbows at times, but if you do the program you will be amazed how much weight gets piled on the bar. Check out this current thread from the "Elderly" forum: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=21039 Good luck!
    Heh, if I'm 23, what is 23? The new 13?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast