• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm 5'6" and 170 pounds.

Right now my five rep maxes are

Squat: 315x5 (below parallel)
    Bench: 245x5
    Press: 150x5
    Deadlift: 365x5

My question is, it seems like some of the guys in the gym that have similar lift totals are just bigger than me. Since I started doing Starting Strength after 4 years of bodybuilding stuff, I definitely got bigger and stronger, but it still seems like guys of my strength that I see in the gym tend to be noticeably bigger than me. Do you think this has to do with genetics or would switching to 8 reps or 10 reps per set help with size?

Also, all of the supplements I'ver ever taken are protein and creatine, but I've been looking into using this supplement called Biotivia Bio Forge.

Bio Forge

All of the reviews I've seen say it's awesome and has no side effects. Any thoughts? I am 20 years old.
    Last edited by John Galt; 01-30-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added link

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

Who is John Galt?

5'6 and 170 lbs.. maybe you're carrying too much fat? I mean, pictures help with these questions in my opinion. But I will say genetics always have something to do with everything and often people's totals have a lot to do with levers and joints. But the only thing you can say about being bigger or whatever.. is well, to get bigger, lol. I doubt you're going to see an absolute significant difference from going from 5 reps, to 8. That's just not gonna make you balloon up all of a sudden.

And I wouldn't waste your money on testosterone supplements. Many of them have been proven to be ineffective at increasing free-testosterone levels. You'd be better off spending your money on food.

Quote Originally Posted by John2336 View Post
    Who is John Galt?
    I think it's an Ayn Rand character.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcguire View Post

And I wouldn't waste your money on testosterone supplements. Many of them have been proven to be ineffective at increasing free-testosterone levels. You'd be better off spending your money on food.
    Yes.

Do you think this has to do with genetics or would switching to 8 reps or 10 reps per set help with size?
    Yes.
    But you will also be doing a size program, not a strength program - and it sure won't be SS.

Also, all of the supplements I'ver ever taken are protein and creatine
    You know that the 8 - 12 rep range induces SARCOPLASMIC HYPERTROPHY right? Water and sugar. You don't need supplements for water and sugar. Protein and Creatine would have a positive effect for strength training (Maybe, I'm not a fan of supplements, but they make more sense in this context than they do in sarco).

The only testosterone supplement that works is the one you get in Mexico and inject in your muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    the point is - tits n' sports.
    I've been trying to explain this to the lady, she dont get it

Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    tits n' sports.
    So spending money at strip clubs would be money better spent huh? I'll have to keep that in mind.

Seriously though, no one believes there are any natural supplements that can moderately increase testosterone levels? Almost all of the reviews I read of this Bio Forge were really positive, and it is one of the most highly rated supplements on bodybuilding.com Bio Forge Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    So spending money at strip clubs would be money better spent huh? I'll have to keep that in mind.

Seriously though, no one believes there are any natural supplements that can moderately increase testosterone levels? Almost all of the reviews I read of this Bio Forge were really positive, and it is one of the most highly rated supplements on bodybuilding.com Bio Forge Reviews
    They don't work, and even if they did there's no guarantee that they improve performance or body composition. You can increase your test by 50% by taking clomiphene or tamoxifene for instance, but in the studies performed they didn't see any improvement performance or body composition even though the guys had a big increase in test levels.

EDIT: You know what increases test and free test? Eating a lot. I'm serious.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    I think it's an Ayn Rand character.
    But the question remains, who IS John Galt?

sb

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast