starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifts for 45 year old woman

Default Lifts for 45 year old woman

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all, I have been following the SS training since January 2011.

Female 45 years old, 5'10, 150lbs.
    Squat 3x5 125lbs
    Press 3x5 50lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 175lbs
    Bench Press 3x5 75 lbs

My form is good, does this weight sound at least respectable?
    I am thinking of switching to Wendler 5-3-1 seems like squatting 3 times a week with SS is really breaking me down. Maybe heavy squatting once a week is best, any advice on this, I am a novice.

Thanks in advance.

Well Done! Always good to see a woman that is training the right way. I wish I would see some at my gym, too.

As for your squats: The usual first step would be to introduce a light squat workout on Wednesday (if you train Mon/Wed/Fri). This should allow you further linear progress for some time, and 5/3/1 would not be required at this stage.

Front squats on Wed is another alternative, although I never liked it.

Also, you could choose to squat 2x week only, and skip Wednesday's squats completely..

Try and see what works best for you. Good luck and keep on the good work!

Your numbers look fine. If squatting heavy 3 times a week is too much (and it usually will be for an older person), then the first thing you should do is make Wednesday a light squat day. Removing squats completely on Wednesday will be less effective for recovery. Front squats aren't a great idea either, because they are such a significant quadriceps workout.

After this goes for a while, when squatting heavy on Monday and Friday becomes too much, the next best thing will be to squat heavy once a week, and use a light and medium day for the other workouts. I would recommend Monday medium, Wednesday light, Friday heavy. Only 2 sets of 5 on the non-heavy days is enough, and it would be 80% and 90% of the weight used on the heavy day. As the weight you lift on the heavy day goes up, the other days just tag along.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    the first thing you should do is make Wednesday a light squat day. Removing squats completely on Wednesday will be less effective for recovery. Front squats aren't a great idea either, because they are such a significant quadriceps workout.
    Why? What is it so great about light squats that makes doing more squats better for recovery than less.

Really? You know, this is all explained pretty thoroughly in PP.

Well I haven't read PP, but I've read SS at least.

I've heard something about it gets the blood flowing which helps in recovery or whatever but I dunno, it still SEEMS to me that squatting 2 days a week would be pretty similar.

Thanks for the advice, peeps. Yes, I need to get the PP book, no delay on that!

Are you microloading your presses?

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Are you microloading your presses?
    No, I am not microloading presses presently. I have looked into fractional plates, but am still hesitant about taking them into my globo gym. But if I want to progress, that is what I need to do, quit worrying about looking silly and just do the work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by weightlisted View Post
    No, I am not microloading presses presently. I have looked into fractional plates, but am still hesitant about taking them into my globo gym. But if I want to progress, that is what I need to do, quit worrying about looking silly and just do the work.
    Use a sharpie to write your name on them before you go, so there's no doubt they are yours and take them. It makes progress more achievable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast